Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th October 2012, 10:10 AM

Welcome M8!
Old 6th October 2012, 11:01 AM

Thanks for the link mike nice to see some kit car meets are in my area!!

cant make the 14th due to work!

Has anyone got a cheap welder for sale i do have one but its only 105amps i woould feel alot more comfortable with one about 130amps or above?

My build so far garage being sorted in organising my kit, box section been ordered going to be about a week and i have read the book from front to back then back again!!

still not decided on a power unit yet but think i need to get my arse into gear before i start the frame would love to use a subaru 2.0 turbo!! awesome noise!! but think for my first build that may be a bit ambitious

what runs best? what do you guys have?

justin
Old 6th October 2012, 11:14 AM

Hi justin,

From previous builders experience the easiest route is to use the engine and donor parts form your donor, Sierra i presume. You wont get the best of power plants but your donor parts will be good of which there are plenty of upgrades available for them and the engine will be a good basis to get familiar with the car and how it handles and will still put a smile on your face. But the main advantage is that the car will be easier on emissions to pass IVA and once your car is registered for pre-cat emissions tests it has that classification for life no matter what engine you decide to put in. Then you can really start to play and it wont really cost you more money as you already have the donor engine anyway. It's best to worry about getting your roadster on the road first and if you're considering upping the power think about upgrading the chassis to 2mm wall tube wont add too much to the weight but will give a stronger and stiffer chassis.

Builders do it different ways but to me this is the most logical..........Andy

Regards..........AndyH
Old 6th October 2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.brownster79 View Post
Thanks for the link mike nice to see some kit car meets are in my area!!

cant make the 14th due to work!

Has anyone got a cheap welder for sale i do have one but its only 105amps i woould feel alot more comfortable with one about 130amps or above?

My build so far garage being sorted in organising my kit, box section been ordered going to be about a week and i have read the book from front to back then back again!!

still not decided on a power unit yet but think i need to get my arse into gear before i start the frame would love to use a subaru 2.0 turbo!! awesome noise!! but think for my first build that may be a bit ambitious

what runs best? what do you guys have?

justin
welcome to the forum and good luck with your build plans

a few pointers i have are with welders anything is powerful enough to tack up your chassis but when you come to fully weld it up you will need somthing with a good duty cycle in the power setting you will be in (110-140A) and you will be better off using a big gas bottle
local gumtree is a good place i found to look for s/h welders ebay can be a bit expensive
as for powerplants flat4's might be a little more tricky for a first build but there is no reason it cant be done.
there are all sorts of builds and finished cars going on in here from the well troden ford rwd engine and box as it came from a doner, bike engines to skyline 6pots
keeping it simple will save you time and money in the long run and its common to build your car with a doner engine then swap it over post iva test

everyone here can help you with any questions you have
Old 6th October 2012, 01:46 PM

Welcome and ask questions. We like questions
Old 6th October 2012, 04:25 PM

And remember there are no silly or stupid questions on here, mind you cant always say the same about the answers ha ha so welcome and dont forget that all important purchase that you will need to get and hang up in the corner of your workshop, we all have one, that ever faithful straight jacket

Arfon
Old 6th October 2012, 05:42 PM

Welcome Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.brownster79 View Post
I'm only just tacking my chassis together at the minute and using 70 amps and it's more than enough on 1.5mm box so no need to upgrade really unless you're worried about the duty cycle on it.
Old 7th October 2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualist View Post
Welcome Justin

I'm only just tacking my chassis together at the minute and using 70 amps and it's more than enough on 1.5mm box so no need to upgrade really unless you're worried about the duty cycle on it.
Just worried when i'm oneday driving along the road at 70mph!! (national speed limit ) that the welds hold up but i was thinking of upgrading from 1.5mm to 2mm so at a later date i can upgrade the power unit to a flat four maybe!!

your one is going to be the awesome with a wangle in it!!!! looking forward to oneday seeing that.
Old 7th October 2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArf View Post
And remember there are no silly or stupid questions on here, mind you cant always say the same about the answers ha ha so welcome and dont forget that all important purchase that you will need to get and hang up in the corner of your workshop, we all have one, that ever faithful straight jacket

Arfon
got it first thing i purchased!!
Old 7th October 2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud69 View Post
Hi justin,

From previous builders experience the easiest route is to use the engine and donor parts form your donor, Sierra i presume. You wont get the best of power plants but your donor parts will be good of which there are plenty of upgrades available for them and the engine will be a good basis to get familiar with the car and how it handles and will still put a smile on your face. But the main advantage is that the car will be easier on emissions to pass IVA and once your car is registered for pre-cat emissions tests it has that classification for life no matter what engine you decide to put in. Then you can really start to play and it wont really cost you more money as you already have the donor engine anyway. It's best to worry about getting your roadster on the road first and if you're considering upping the power think about upgrading the chassis to 2mm wall tube wont add too much to the weight but will give a stronger and stiffer chassis.

Builders do it different ways but to me this is the most logical..........Andy
That is a very logical way suprised i didnt think of it that way myself!! thats the way i shall do it thanks for the help later date a flat 4