Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:15 PM
CTWV50's Avatar
CTWV50 CTWV50 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,294
Default OK what do I do for a vin plate?

What have you done?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:19 PM
Davidbolam Davidbolam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Gosforth, Newcastle Upon Tyne
Posts: 856
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
What have you done?
I cut out a piece of aluminium and then stamed the vin number and haynes roadster on it.

I them masked over where I had stamped and sprayed it all black. When I peeled back the tape I was left with the details "inside a black box" as per the iva manual

David
__________________
Click to see my build photos on Flikr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:25 PM
CTWV50's Avatar
CTWV50 CTWV50 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidbolam View Post
I cut out a piece of aluminium and then stamed the vin number and haynes roadster on it.

I them masked over where I had stamped and sprayed it all black. When I peeled back the tape I was left with the details "inside a black box" as per the iva manual

David
I see, I just looked through skovs pictures and saw he ordered an engraved plaque. So I just did that for the grand total of 2.40. Any chance of a picture of what you have done?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:17 PM
Stot's Avatar
Stot Stot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wolverhampton
Posts: 748
Default

I did similar to David but more high tech and used a laser to mask the black paint off and a mill to engrave the numbers.



Cheers
Stot
__________________
1.6 Mazda B6 : Garrett TBO339 : 420cc WRX Injectors : FMIC : Microsquirt V3 : LC-2 Wideband : Toyota COP
Build Started Jan 2013 : OTR Aug 2014 : Build Pictures
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:47 PM
SeriesLandy's Avatar
SeriesLandy SeriesLandy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Portsmouth
Posts: 828
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
I see, I just looked through skovs pictures and saw he ordered an engraved plaque. So I just did that for the grand total of 2.40. Any chance of a picture of what you have done?
I did the same. Just a trophy plaque off eBay. I think the one I got was about 80x40mm and cost about 2.50
__________________
Steve
My Photo Album | Haynes Roadster FAQ | IVA Forms How To
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23rd September 2014, 01:59 PM
CTWV50's Avatar
CTWV50 CTWV50 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriesLandy View Post
I did the same. Just a trophy plaque off eBay. I think the one I got was about 80x40mm and cost about 2.50
Good to know.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 23rd September 2014, 02:00 PM
CTWV50's Avatar
CTWV50 CTWV50 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 1,294
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stot View Post
I did similar to David but more high tech and used a laser to mask the black paint off and a mill to engrave the numbers.



Cheers
Stot
Fancy making another for a small fee? Looks very professional.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 23rd September 2014, 03:18 PM
Stot's Avatar
Stot Stot is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wolverhampton
Posts: 748
Default

I would but it took me 3 goes to engrave one without going all the way through the metal as its only 0.5mm thick.

Cheers
Stot
__________________
1.6 Mazda B6 : Garrett TBO339 : 420cc WRX Injectors : FMIC : Microsquirt V3 : LC-2 Wideband : Toyota COP
Build Started Jan 2013 : OTR Aug 2014 : Build Pictures
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.