Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19th July 2015, 10:32 AM

Default OEM electronic speedo

Hi,
I'm having problem with my speedometer. I'm using the donor instrument cluster (Sierra 2,0i DOHC), and the speedometer is driven by a cable. The position of the cable connection on the gearbox is just right in front of a chassis tube, which implies a pretty tight bend. I think it is the reason why the speedometer needle “jumps” from 100 km/h, and does not give an accurate speed at higher speeds (sometimes, it even goes down!). The cable might be damaged in the sleeve, but even if I put a new one, it will get damaged very quickly, so it is not the solution.

I have a MT75 gearbox, and on this gearbox, there is an inbuilt electronic speedometer sensor. So I'd like to change my instrument cluster for a one with electronic speedometer. I could of course buy a set of instruments with speedo, tacho, and different gages, but I don't have the money for that and I'd like to keep is cheap.

I have checked second hand car parts website, and it looks like the Scorpio 95-98 cluster has an electronic speedo, so that could be the solution. But I don't know about the calibration. The Scorpio used the same gearbox as mine, but I don't know about the diff and wheels of the car the cluster will come from.

Is there an easy way to recalibrate an OEM speedo, or will it be mission impossible?

Any other idea or tip to solve my speedo problem?

Thanks.