Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th February 2008, 03:03 PM

Default Bike Engine emissions??

Hi Guys,

I plan to start my build this summer if all goes well but i have a few questions that i dont seem to be able to find answers to.

firstly I should tell you that i plan to use the ZX12R engine probably around a 2002 model and i plan to use the original EFI system.

I have heard many different things about emissions at the SVA and thereafter

If someone could clear up exactly what is required for SVAing a bike engine that would be great. For example does Q plate make a difference to the emissions requirements?

also if anyone has used this engine i would love to know how it performs.

Thanks

Gareth
Old 14th February 2008, 04:59 PM

I think the emissions is dependant upon the age of the engine for the SVA. something you have to prove else it's the latest standards

If you get a Q plate then for MOT the emissions are very lax - provided it doesn't smoke it's passed.
Old 14th February 2008, 08:04 PM

Basically you are going to need to fit a cat, EFI engines are a bit finicky about alterations to the exhaust and airbox, so you will probably need to fit a power commander to help it a little.
The VOSA computer decides what levels of emissions are a pass, even the tester can't alter them. As far as I am aware, when you MOT the vehicle the testers put the reg number in and the machine decides from the information stored in the VOSA memory banks,whether you pass or fail. I have a q plate and my reg document states an emissions level on it, although I am led to beleive this doesn't mean anything
Old 15th February 2008, 04:32 AM

Well I do not know how strict it is over there, but around here (california) when you need to get your emissions tested you either go to any testing place, pay the fee and hope you pass OR ask around and find the "right" place to go and give the tester a couple hundred dollars to make sure it passes the test, hint hint, wink wink.

Those places are getting harder and harder to find as the state is cracking down on those sorts of activities.

I'm sure it's a different setup in the UK, but remember: everyone is crooked, you just have to find the right price.
Old 15th February 2008, 04:42 PM

ok thanks guys, i
So im definatley gonna have to CAT it for the SVA. i'll look into that.

Cheers Guys