Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th September 2008, 11:10 PM

Question what to do with donor car?

Hi, have spent this weekend stripping the donor car, and was going to get the local scrappy to collect the bodyshell.
I am hoping to have the age related plate on my roadster, so do i give the scrap man the green part of the log book? which i have in the past when scrapping veichles ( the log book is in my name). Will be a while before my roadster is finished and dont want to make a mistake now that will create problems later
Great forum, has been really helpfull
thanks guys

Heres a few photos of the millions taken

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30385532@N08/sets/
Old 9th September 2008, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

You don’t give them any of the log book at all. Also remove the number plates and cut the vin numbers out from the body before it goes. Usually there is one under the bonnet and the other is in the drivers footwell.

Make sure you take lots of pictures of the car with number plates on but stripped of donor parts to prove all the roadster parts come off that car. You then have to sorn it every year when the letter comes through until the roadster is ready to be registered.

Basically the car needs to be anonymous to the scrappierteer when it goes and you retain its identity or you will end up with a q plate.
Old 9th September 2008, 10:55 AM

wow its all very cloak and dagger
is it legal?
i have the space to store the shell, 'calm down my love, the upside down car on the back lawn is art........and it will save buying that climbing frame for the kids, what with the credit crunch and all '
Will save it untill the time comes.
What is the procedure for registering our roadsters?

greg
Old 9th September 2008, 11:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmsparky View Post
wow its all very cloak and dagger
is it legal?
greg
its not really cloak and dagger its the way its meant to be done. if you register it as scrap the dvla mark the car as destroyed and you lose the v5.

you need the registration v5 and the vin plates from the doner car to prove to vosa and dvla that that the parts come from the car you said they come from or you will get a q plate. if you register the car as scrapped then you lose the v5 then you get a q plate.
Old 14th September 2008, 06:46 AM

AshG is correct, i just add one point to consider, the DVLA ask on their forms how you disposed of the cars remains so you need a receipt for the scrap and a photo of it being taken away.
It's not very joined up i know but DVLA has not fully thought out the issues so it's up to us to prove what we have done and how we did it.

Keep a big folder of all receipts and photos and any correspondence about the build, it will make life so much easier when you come to register.
Old 14th September 2008, 10:41 AM

Will this do?