Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th May 2007, 09:29 AM

Default Age-related conundrum

I'm a bit puzzed by this age-related plate business - can anyone clarify?

Over on the locost forum the suggestion seems to be that after you buy your donor you will have to keep the donor SORN'd until it's time to register your roadster. The reason being you need to somehow prove that a certain number of components came from your donor to get the age-related plate. I am not sure how having it SORN'd and in bits helps this except of course you are still the registered keeper.

My problem is I don't want an old rusty wreck of a stripped-out Sierra on my drive looking like an advert for a Yorkshire remake of 'Deliverance' for God-knows how long whilst I build a roadster. I think my nearest & dearest would support me in that ambition too So is there a way round this? Can I strip the donor, have shell, etc taken away by a scrappy and yet somehow in the future still prove to the DVLA that all the bits came from that car and hence get an age-related plate?

Yours in puzzlement

Chris
Old 17th May 2007, 09:49 AM

I think that as long as you retain the plates ie: VIN etc. and don't fill in the part of the V5 saying that you've transferred ownership to a trader or have scrapped the vehicle then you should be fine. I intend to cut out any area on the chassis that has the numbers stamped so that the car is not identifiable and then have the relevant bits removed for scrap whilst keeping it sorn'd until I'm ready that way, the DVLA don't know anything about it - although I may have to go for a Q-plate as I want to go down the Zetec route.

HTH.
Old 18th May 2007, 01:55 PM
Chris Gibbs

As CAD monkey says, retain the plate and remove the numbers from the chassis, keep the log book intact, you'll need it to prove the engine age at SVA time, and of course to get an age related plate on registration.

cheers

Chris
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:43 AM

Thanks you two that clears up a lot! It's just I too am thinking of going the Zetec route - building the car is a lot of work to end up with a Pinto engine (and yes, I know why the book car has a Pinto Chris). I'm assuming with an engine from another source you haven't enough 'points' to get the donor reg? So is there any way of avoiding the Q-plate apart from the old dodge of putting the donor engine in, doing SVA & reg, then changing the engine? Would I even want to avoid a Q-plate? What are other folks doing about this?

Chris
Old 23rd May 2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_calcite View Post
Thanks you two that clears up a lot! It's just I too am thinking of going the Zetec route - building the car is a lot of work to end up with a Pinto engine (and yes, I know why the book car has a Pinto Chris). I'm assuming with an engine from another source you haven't enough 'points' to get the donor reg? So is there any way of avoiding the Q-plate apart from the old dodge of putting the donor engine in, doing SVA & reg, then changing the engine? Would I even want to avoid a Q-plate? What are other folks doing about this?

Chris
I believe that there may still be sufficient points to get an age-related plate, even if you don't use the engine, you've still got lots to use from the donor - but tbh the Q-Plate thing doesn't bother me with this one - I've never got enough cash for a private plate anyway!!

The optomist says the glass is half full, the pessimist says the glass is half empty, and the engineer says the glass was designed and manufactured twice as big as it needed to be...
Old 23rd May 2007, 12:00 PM
Chris Gibbs

I've had a few cars on a Q plate, it doesn't bother me at all, the car still drives the same!

There may be some impact on re-sale value, age related plate cars seem to be easier to sell. I think you might struggle to get an age related plate using a different engine.

Changing the engine post SVA seems to be a popular thing to do, particularly for a swap to a bike engine.

In the end I supose it depends on wether you want the hassle of doing the engine install twice.

Cheers

Chris
Old 23rd May 2007, 12:01 PM

As I understand it there is only one reason to avoid a Q plate and that is because You would want a vanity plate of some kind, otherwise it is smarter to have a Q plate though there is still a perceived stigma about it.
Old 3rd June 2007, 03:59 PM

You will have to prove engine age and meet the emmision requirements of that engine for SVA and any current MOT's. If the engine is after G reg then you will need a Cat, fuel injection and ECU with Lambda sensor.
I am fitting a Pinto and will have to meet pinto emmisions from 1985 on that car for evermore.
Old 21st June 2007, 02:46 PM

Lightbulb Age related plate

I had this confusion as how to retain the donor car reg. After consultation with DVLA I was told if I use the engine & gearbox of the donner car with a brand new chasiss ( even home made, with the proof). Then I would qualify for an age related plate, the V5 document will act as a proof of your donner car major parts.
Hope this is of some help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 3rd February 2008, 02:13 AM

I would guess that my build will be a Q plate then if im using new pars and a bike engine