Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th November 2009, 02:16 AM

Agreed, the Brits are lucky to have a process. Here in Lithuania the registration rules mandate the same EEC-standard brakes and steering tests that are required for production vehicles. Only one lab in the whole country does the brake tests, and ostencibly they cost around 2500 quid, and there's not a single place qualified to test the steering, so one has to find a suitable test lab abroad :-/

In Estonia the situation is a bit better, there is a company making Locosts for years, they've been producing Formula 3's during the soviet times. I think they have lobbied some sanity into SVA-equivalent process there. I'm hoping I can register the car in Estonia and use it here.
Old 26th November 2009, 09:32 AM

Yeah, but shouting at fellow members achieves nothing. If your really mad, contact the ministry, contact your local MP or write a petition on Number 10 website.

Nothing changes in the UK because we never do anything. Worst case is a group of people walk through London waving posters. The only exception I can think of is the fuel strikes when the refineries got blockaded and the motorways had go slows.
Old 26th November 2009, 10:18 AM

Deezee, I am not shouting at fellow members, merely discussing an issue I feel strongly about, sorry if it came across like that. I can't speak to my MP, I live in Bracknell, our MP was Andy MacKay - nuff sed
To put some perspective on this, the SVA tests seem to be conducted from existing facilities, sure additional infrastructure was required, it has been in place for some time. The average tester probably gets paid no more than about £15 per hour at most. Last time I did an SVA test the whole procedure took about 4 hours. The fact that the SVA equivalent costs 10 times as much in some other countries does not make it right.
My original view point still stands :as soon as a hobby becomes popular it gets taxed to death leaving the choice of getting pissed and picking a fight the best option to many young "adults".
Take fishing for example. If you want to use a boat to go fishing on the Basingstoke canal you need a rod license £25, a fishing permit, £35 I think, A boat licence £65, you then have to pay again if you want to fish after dark, you also have to have insurance for your boat.
It's so much cheaper to get pissed of an evening.
I think the IVA is a sensible measure, some of the rules are plain stupid but regulation is clearly needed otherwise the roads would be full of "Top Gear" style creations - not good I just wish that the government would sometimes look at more than just creating additional income streams where there is direct and demonstrable cash flow. How about looking at peripheral cash flow eg from businesses whose income is dependant on the industry - they all pay taxes after all. I bet just about every kit car is a second car, the owners have to pay road fund even though they hardly use it, two lots of insurance with VAT and insurance tax being payable etc etc.
In short I think the kit car industry is one worth supporting, not taxing out of existance. I use the word tax deliberately as that is what it is, in my opinion.
Rant over
Old 26th November 2009, 12:39 PM

Talking You are not alone

You ain't alone in your thoughts Enoch, my views are just about identical to your own

At least you know there is " one more grumpy pants out there "

I was so hacked off when the new fees were announced, I almost gave up the build !!??
Then, if I did, the establishment would have got their wish.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 26th November 2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
At least you know there is " one more grumpy pants out there "
Make that two......
And I've passed my SVA.

I feel for the guys like you, that are half way through their build only to find that the price has more than doubled to get a MAC......

David
Old 26th November 2009, 08:30 PM

It has SFA to do with being grumpy anything and Enoch is right (and his namesake had some good idea's too!) the sooner the population of this country stop standing in line to take it up the butt whatever the government dishes out the better we will all be.