Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th June 2010, 10:30 PM

Default Age Related plate Worries..

Ok, ive been reading on here that people are really removing all signs of there sierra registration when they get the shell scrapped to assit in the process of obtaining an age related plate, however when my sierra shell was scrapped i didnt remove any vin numbers, but more to the point i did it the 'official' way and give in my v5.

I have copies of my v5, but is the sierra being registered as scrapped make it impossible/v. difficult for me to get an age related plate, as i couldnt find any thing relating to this from government sites?

any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 13th June 2010, 10:46 PM

HI, I know you probably don`t want to hear this but I don`t think you have any chance of an age related plate from your donor I`m afraid.
You could I suppose try and find another donor if it`s really important to you, but a Q isn`t the end of the world, plenty of them out there.

Dennis.
Old 13th June 2010, 10:47 PM

Ermmm.... I'm afraid so. You need a donor V5 to get your age related plate and prove the engine age for the IVA emissions.
Old 13th June 2010, 10:51 PM

hmm, well i dont really have any problems with getting a q reg as i dont really see any benifit woth an age related plat, however will i have any problems with regards to the need for a cat, as what would i use as proof of engine age, or proof that i dont need a cat?
Old 13th June 2010, 10:57 PM

If you are using the cvh engine from the donor then no problems, get your engine number from the block or copy of V5, then write to Ford for confirmation of age or use the V5 copy to prove the age. Just make sure the engine number matches the V5 & hasn`t been changed at some time

Dennis
Old 13th June 2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drury318 View Post
If you are using the cvh engine from the donor then no problems, get your engine number from the block or copy of V5, then write to Ford for confirmation of age or use the V5 copy to prove the age. Just make sure the engine number matches the V5 & hasn`t been changed at some time

Dennis
i guess ill be fine then, at least i no longer have the worry of needing an age related plate, infact ive been looking for a reason to get a different engine for some time, this may well be it!!

Thanks
Old 14th June 2010, 10:23 AM

An age related plate is a long shot, you may be able to visit your local DVLA and explain what has happened they MAY be sympathetic. For the Engine age you can use the chart in the link below to prove block age:

http://www.burtonpower.com/technical...ate_chart.aspx

Show this to your IVA tester and he can check block age from the first 2 letters of the number. I tried with Ford to get a confirmation letter and got no reply, the chart was okay for my SVA tester.

All the Best....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 14th June 2010, 01:46 PM

If you use a Ford engine the IVA inspector will accept the page from the Burtons catalog showing the Ford engine number age codes.
Old 14th June 2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
hmm, well i dont really have any problems with getting a q reg as i dont really see any benifit woth an age related plat, however will i have any problems with regards to the need for a cat, as what would i use as proof of engine age, or proof that i dont need a cat?
You will need proof of engine age anyway as the donor vehicle is no longer taken as proof of engine age.

Something like a pinto or CVH will not be a problem but something like a Zetec could be.

Ford will usually provide age of engine proof from an engine number, you just have to write to them. I think you need the homologation division.

BV.
Old 15th June 2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drury318 View Post
HI, I know you probably don`t want to hear this but I don`t think you have any chance of an age related plate from your donor I`m afraid.
You could I suppose try and find another donor if it`s really important to you, but a Q isn`t the end of the world, plenty of them out there.

Dennis.
Hi
What is so important about an age related plate? You can’t see it when you’re driving and it still goes just as fast. I had the engine, gear box, diff V5 with photos and still didn’t get an age related plate. I will depend on which DVLA office you go to.