Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st January 2010, 05:10 PM

I'm also planning to cut out 4 of the seatbelt mounting 7/16" UNF captive nuts and use them on the lower harness mounts.
Old 5th February 2010, 09:43 PM

Ginge I don't know if it's just me but when I klick your "build pictures" link nothing happens. Is it me or is the link u/s. On the old DII I could get onto the bay but not on the new one it's Shiiiiiiiit.
Old 5th February 2010, 10:18 PM

The link is fixed now.

I don't know why that stopped working, do they have a 'life span'?

John.W

Im not in work for two weeks now but you can find me at
26ENGR-38HQSqn-PlantSgt

Cheers Ginge

I was building but I am not now!

Build Pictures

Build Thread
Old 5th February 2010, 10:29 PM

The Build is looking good, I wish I could get started but i'm still trying to get ready for the new Rally X season, starts middle of next month and I need to fit a roll cage and change the engine in my Golf.

WWW.rallyx.de

3REME-CIV-TSC

keep up the good work

John
Old 6th February 2010, 11:34 AM

1 Feb

Well I got me self into gear this week.

I had some cash in the build account and a week off coming up so I decided to spread the love and ordered stuff from several companies.

Three sheets of 8’ x 4’ ally from parkers,

Some suspension components from 3GE,

Some build components (Maxi ball joints, engine mounts etc)

Now I am skint until I sell a scooter or sell some more pictures.

3 Feb

I popped down to see the scrappy after work (12.30pm I know, I know, Wednesday is recce afternoon in Her Majesty’s Armed Forces and I went and recced the scrappys) I only went to inquire when he would be able to collect and he said we will be around this afternoon.

So I shot home and removed the last brake pipe connectors, number plate and tax disc. Then gingerly (stop sniggering at the back) lowered the Sierra onto the trolley borrowed from fellow forum member SteveS. One good shove and the Sierra is now outside on the drive awaiting collection. Nicky returned from the school run and had a fit until I explained it is getting picked up in an hour and a half. He best turn up now!

9 pm and it is a no show by the srappy. I am right pi**ed off, but what can you do, he is picking it up for nothing. I will ring at 9 am ish tomorrow. The thing is I only pushed it out of the garage because he said he was coming tonight and now I can’t push it back in so it will be sat on the drive all night and tomorrow until he collects.

I promised Nicky that I wouldn’t do s**t like this and now she is p***d.

Tomorrows another day.

6 Feb

Would you believe the Sierra is still on the drive, I am getting some savage ear ache! Apparently he is having problems with his Hi-Ab, he best not bump into Nicky as he will have more than a problem with his Hi-Ab!

I have a little confession which I can now reveal, as the issue is fixed. Always remove the rear drive shaft nut whilst the car is on the ground! I can hear Handy Andy saying it now! Well, Ginge knows best and I didn’t undo them. I thought after studying the Haynes Manual that the break back plate would come off the inboard end of the drive shaft.... it doesn’t!

The upshot being, I had two driveshafts off the car with break back plates flapping about. I didn’t mention anything on here as I had a plan. Off to REME workshops on Thursday, I walked up to the stores counter and asked for a 42mm socket, the store man didn’t even bat an eyelid, just asked what it was in old money (1 and 5/8”) and produced the socket. Happy days! Off I trot home and here is where I’m lucky, I used my air gun and after a while both nuts are off. The one that is reverse threaded was a lot harder to remove but they are both of now.

Next week should see some proper progress as I have a week off, I will update pictures as I go and the Sierra best get picked up!!

Build Pictures

Build Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 12:35 PM

7 Feb

I got some time in the garage yesterday and constructed a frame for the roadster to sit on. My theory being I still need to turn the chassis upside down as there are some welds to do on the underside.

I had a look back through the build diary and noticed a gap in the pictorial history so went into the garage this morning and took some pics.

The chassis so far, all the suspension mounts are on, diff mount on and one side welded and the steering rack mount done, only one picture here, there are more on photo bucket. You can see the frame I made as well. It is bespoke to my garage as the floor slopes two ways. So the chassis is dead level now when it is on the frame.

[IMG][/IMG]

A pile of goodies.

[IMG][/IMG]

This lot requires cleaning and overhauling.

[IMG][/IMG]

I am off to my father’s on Tuesday and we are going to draw all the ally panels on Autocad and print them so I can modify paper templates before cutting the ally.

Once we have done them if anyone wants a copy of the file just let me know. Thanks to Pete (sorry I don’t know your forum name) who sent through the three he had done already.

Cheers Ginge

Build Pictures

Build Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 12:56 PM

Looking good there Ginge

In the same boat as you mate ..... Now in the process of dragging a mountain of stuff out, all in need of a good clean & refurb

It'll be interesting to see how you get on with the side panels.

I almost attempted to do them when I fabricated & fitted the rear tub, unfortunately my mind & body wern't in a good place at that time

Keep up the great work.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 7th February 2010, 03:24 PM

looking nice Ginge

lots of cleaning in the coming weeks

don,t forget you might need to remove TR5 , i had to as was keeping the standard carb set up, tho not sure if its ok to stay there with bike carbs.

We ( spud & me, Saturn ) will be making ali panels too, so will watch your progress with the drawings etc.

like the chassis frame/stand

cheers
andy
Old 7th February 2010, 06:08 PM

Andy,

The cleaning will happen slowly as this coming week is for building.

I have done a few measurements and hope to keep TR5, you watch I will be cutting it out be Wednesday, The bike carbs I got are well spaced to the head so I should be able to get them quite close, watch this space.

Once I have all the ally panels drawn on Autocad you are more than welcome to them, as is anyone.

The frame is working a treat, I can step in and out of the chassis and once I have clamped the frame to the chassis I can drag the whole thing around the garage.

Cheers Ginge

Build Pictures

Build Thread
Old 7th February 2010, 06:09 PM

A little more to add today.

I started by adding the handbrake chassis plates CP12 &13 then avoided the steering wheel support frame and fitted CP16 & 17 instead.

I spent a good hour messing about with the Steering Column Supports (SCS). I bolted them to the steering column and tried sitting in the car but I think I am sitting to low because I can’t see over the steering wheel! Will crack on with it tomorrow

[IMG][/IMG]

Build Pictures

Build Thread