Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd August 2013, 09:12 AM

is it more of an heating issue affecting the diff internals, or the heat degrading the oil? If its the latter, I cant personally see a problem.
Old 27th August 2013, 09:20 PM

Today after an hour and a half of trying to undo the bolts that hold the ali back bone to the diff nose I gave up and reached for the grinder, big Ammer and the drift. Long storey short the out put shafts bolt on type for LSD diffs are the same as the push in units so the fab'ed diff cover fits both.
Old 28th August 2013, 09:52 AM

Phil - Lefty loosy, Righty tighty
Old 28th August 2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
Today after an hour and a half of trying to undo the bolts that hold the ali back bone to the diff nose I gave up and reached for the grinder, big Ammer and the drift. Long storey short the out put shafts bolt on type for LSD diffs are the same as the push in units so the fab'ed diff cover fits both.
I had a spare Diff that I gave to Nathan when his broke. It was off a 1.6 and he was using the 1.8 running gear and it wouldn't fit in his car.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 28th August 2013, 12:41 PM

Erm minor edit.....just put the 1.6 LSD next to the open diff, erm so how many different sizes of diff are there?
Old 28th August 2013, 06:05 PM

The 1800 diff has a larger crownwheel and is physically bigger (might be a bit longer too). The 1600 and 1800 driveshafts are different, so if you fit a 1600 diff you will need 1600 driveshafts too. On MX5s, the prop must also match, but I don't know whether the prop length is the only difference and therefore not an issue on a Roadster.

Push in driveshafts will also fit bolt in diffs (at least for the 1800s, as I have this exact setup on my Torsen).
Old 29th August 2013, 08:17 PM

[silly ideas]
If you could machine down the bolting surfaces 6mm you could sandwich in the mounting plate to the standard diff.

Or maybe you could design a plate that can be bolted on externally using the existing bolts that hold the diff together. Need to cut it around the casting webbing.

Then cut the wings off.
[/silly ideas]

Cheers
Stot
Old 30th August 2013, 08:36 AM

I did consider that at one point I even offered the cover up to the mill, then I had a little think about gripping a brittle ali casting in a machine vice....
Old 30th August 2013, 09:44 AM

Exclamation

Just re read my gillham guide, and under the section differential, it actually has the nose braced. It says, an additional length on 19mm box can be fixed between BR12 & RS3, with a 5mm packer welded between RS3. The second engine mount rubber can be used to secure the front of the diff. I have revision 3 notes, so maybe it was not in the earlier build spec. Maybe we were all that keen, we missed it. 19mm box & 5mm plate it is ! ( picture in notes is - figure 41 : front lower diff mount position). Tidy on a Friday !
Old 30th August 2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason 82 View Post
Just re read my gillham guide, and under the section differential, it actually has the nose braced. It says, an additional length on 19mm box can be fixed between BR12 & RS3, with a 5mm packer welded between RS3. The second engine mount rubber can be used to secure the front of the diff. I have revision 3 notes, so maybe it was not in the earlier build spec. Maybe we were all that keen, we missed it. 19mm box & 5mm plate it is ! ( picture in notes is - figure 41 : front lower diff mount position). Tidy on a Friday !
That was what spud and nathan used but it failed. Partly due to the mount and they also didn't use the large plates that go under the diff mounts. Nathan then modified the mount be removing the rubber engine mount and replaced it with a steel bracket. Nothing to stop the diff twisting though

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.