Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th May 2009, 05:58 PM

It has been said on the forum that VOSA may re-inspect a car later so as too check it is still as IVA'ed previously ie not modified further,hear say or not it would be a pain.
Old 19th May 2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post
It has been said on the forum that VOSA may re-inspect a car later so as too check it is still as IVA'ed previously ie not modified further,hear say or not it would be a pain.
ahh ok, i,ll keep my head down & ears open when the time comes, but in defence i couldn,t help it that the cvh engine blew up
cheers
andy
Old 19th May 2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud69 View Post
We're off camping at the weekend Andy, but if you pm me with you're address and mobile i'll drive over tomorrow or Thursday night weather permitting.....Any excuse to get out.
No prob cheers, tho if its ok with you how about picking me up from my place then we drive 6 miles to where i,m building my chassis ( mothers garage), any excuse to get another ride in your roadster
i,ll pm the address.
cheers
andy
Old 2nd June 2009, 03:11 PM

ok all you wise ones, a few questions for you.......
will a set of ZX9R bike carbs work with my cvh engine ? either before iva or after? then when i "need" to swap my engine for a 2ltr zetec will these carbs be ok for the new engine etc?
your advice sought & welcomed.
cheers
andy
Old 2nd June 2009, 05:40 PM

Why not IVA the set up you have,ie bog standard engine and carb that way you will not have to make or setup anything out of the ordinairy,like making manifolds and buying jets and the like.
Carbs have been discussed on here somewhere and I think zx9 or zx 600 were preferable but dont quote me on it !

Cheers.
Old 2nd June 2009, 06:39 PM

Hi Andy

I am far from an expert in this field but here are my thoughts for what they are worth.

Being as your donor was a darn fine runner, I would be inclined to leave the CVH as standard till you have had your IVA.

To fit the carbs onto the CVH you'll be needing to make an inlet manifold to suit. I would imagine that the jets may need replacing or fine tuning for the engine to run smooth & meet emission targets.
Do you really want the hours & hours of work fine tuning the CVH engine just for temporary use.

When you change to the Zetec engine, you'll need to start from scratch all over again
The carbs set up for the 1.8 CVH are not likely to run so well on a 2 litre Zetec. A fair bit of power difference between the 2.

I think the carbs you mention will be OK for either engine but probably best suited to the Zetec unit.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 2nd June 2009, 06:44 PM

ZX9R carbs will work fine with both engines. You'll need them rejetting on the Zetec though as it flows more air/fuel through the head ( I think most people just re-drill the jets up to 1.7mm). Obviously a bespoke manifold will be required for each engine. This isn't hard to make, but if your not happy making one, companies such as bogg bros will sell them.

Depending on your engine management choice, your going to need some sensors. Now I believe, that some early ZX9R carbs came without a TPS and would require a custom bracket and a TPS sourcing. So its just easier to get a later model set, that includes a TPS (assuming you need one)

I don't know if your 1.8cvh is pre cat or not. If it is, then putting carbs on won't make any diff to the IVA.
Old 2nd June 2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
ZX9R carbs will work fine with both engines. You'll need them rejetting on the Zetec though as it flows more air/fuel through the head ( I think most people just re-drill the jets up to 1.7mm). Obviously a bespoke manifold will be required for each engine. This isn't hard to make, but if your not happy making one, companies such as bogg bros will sell them.

Depending on your engine management choice, your going to need some sensors. Now I believe, that some early ZX9R carbs came without a TPS and would require a custom bracket and a TPS sourcing. So its just easier to get a later model set, that includes a TPS (assuming you need one)

I don't know if your 1.8cvh is pre cat or not. If it is, then putting carbs on won't make any diff to the IVA.
thanks Deezee, my cvh is pre cat & the zx9r carbs do come with the TPS , i think the advice from Flyerncle & Bonzo is as usual spot on,
as my plan is to go zetec asap then theres no point in spending time & money setting up the cvh / bike carbs at this point, UNLESS if the bike carbs make the cvh more responsive & so more enjoyable to drive with a relatively low powered engine , as i know my cvh engine is in good fettle & have full service history on it etc etc then it may still be worth considering,
decisions decisions
cheers
andy
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:06 PM

Look carefully at the IVA manual but it seems quite likely that changing the engine post IVA could require at least a partial retest. You would be required to inform DVLA of change of engine number and provide neccesary documentation for this so 'pulling your collar up and keeping a low profile" may not work.
The IVA sets out the emissions requirements which are now related to the engine you have fitted. Changing the engine to a more modern engine will require you to meet the emissions requirements for the engine you fit that could include cat and engine management for a late Zetec....
Get an early Zetec (pre 1995 I think - again check the IVA test manual) then build and IVA with that.

Last edited by Big Vern : 2nd June 2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the info Big Vern, ok , this is me sitting on the fence with a hypothetical (spelling???) situation........lets say a car passes the iva & then truthfully has an engine failure & requires a new engine are you saying the car then will need to be retested ? if this is the case then that surely blows the bottom out of the replacement engine market, does this only apply to "kit cars" or to every car on the road? it seems a crazy situation to me.
i will indeed read the manual very carefully, as it maybe not worth trying to get an age related plate by keeping/providing information of the donor car, for the effort & cost i might as well put a new zetec with cat etc into my car now .
the red tape seems to get more & more tangled up.
cheers
andy