Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 24th May 2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
I wasn't saying ot for the strength side of things, more, as you say, the geometry side of things.

Not sure i'd fancy knocking one up with a bit of plate and a MIG, and certainly not two identicals

Chris

PS, E30 & E36 diffs are either small or medium case. The large case goes on the bigger models (5, 6, 7 series) oh and the rear cover is interchangable between e30 - e30 smalls and e30 - e36 mediums. (ie. not small to medium or vice versa)
I agree. Making two mirror image adapter brackets would require some very precise measuring and workmanship. Some kind of jig would be needed to hold the critical parts in alignment. An advantage of this approach is that you could change the geometry at a later time by fabricating another set of brackets. With enough adjustment built into the wishbones, it would be relatively simple to swap street geometry to track geometry.

Let's see if I understand you correctly. The E30 and E36 small diff rear covers are interchangable and the E30 & E36 medium covers are interchangable. And the small cover won't fit the large case. Right?

What do you know about the Z3 diffs? It looks like they have yet another version of the rear cover. I think it's the same diff. Is the cover also interchangable?

Bob.