Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th December 2009, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

I guess the "Looks" is the only other advantage of disks.

And that all the LSD's are designed for the disk brake bolt on shafts.

I think Drums will be the way to go for me.

It had the big advantage that the crappy handbrake system on the seirra calipers will not be an issue.

TT
Old 30th December 2009, 09:54 AM

I've got the rear disks as they came fitted to the donor, and after reading around a bit have also bought a Mini brake pressure regulating valve. I'm planning to just plumb it in initially, then modify it after IVA if necessary.

Matt
Old 25th April 2010, 10:10 AM

ive done some maths and gone for a 380mm cosworth single piston disc/caliper set up up front and standard rear discs on the back the increased front braking should counteract the increase in rear braking enough to get a good balance.
Old 26th April 2010, 08:49 PM

I have fitted the rear brake limiting valve from a pre abs Sierra on to mine. It does not affect the braking under normal conditions but will limit the rear braking effort under heavy braking. You can change the point at which it cuts in by changing the angle that it sits at in the car - it works on inertia. I fitted one to my Robin Hood which passed SVA, the tester ran through the automatic tests and it failed on over braked rear. He knew it had the valve in so took it out in the car park and slammed on the brakes to make sure the rears did not lock. He then passed the car even though the auto test still showed a fail.
If you are fitting a limit valve remember to fit the pressure activated brake light switch between the master cylinder and the valve - if it is installed after the valve your brake lights will turn off when the valve activates. Initially install the valve at the same angle as it was installed in the Sierra - it was about right on my Robin hood so should be about right in the Haynes.
Enoch.

Last edited by Enoch : 26th April 2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: added stuff