Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th August 2010, 09:59 PM

Default Alternative bushes

has anyone ever come a cross a build using delrin bushes insted of polly? i have read a thread on a build fourum where some guy has used a plastic called delrin and the full set of bushes cost him £15 to make. iv looked up the propertys of delrin and they are pretty similar to pollyurothane ie strong self lubeing, easy to work just wondered if some knew more cheers guys in advance..
Old 5th August 2010, 11:11 PM

Think of delrin as a self lubing nylon it's very hard compared to poly bush material,it has no give in it at all. I know most people want the car to handle well but not to be so harsh that you need a box full of pain killers after each drive. If your going to spend £2000-5000 on building your own car £110-200 worth of bushes is money well spent.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 6th August 2010, 09:09 PM

Hmm, ive made my bushes from delrin and have yet to drive my car but I dont agree with the above point of view as many people use rose joints instead of poly bushes as an upgrade.
the ride quality should be a result of springs and dampers not what is basically a pivot.
my thoughts are that £15 for a metre of delrin will get me rolling and if im not happy with the bushes in the end ill change them but people do use rose joints and there is no give in them at all.
Ray
Old 8th August 2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 View Post
Hmm, ive made my bushes from delrin and have yet to drive my car but I dont agree with the above point of view as many people use rose joints instead of poly bushes as an upgrade.
the ride quality should be a result of springs and dampers not what is basically a pivot.
my thoughts are that £15 for a metre of delrin will get me rolling and if im not happy with the bushes in the end ill change them but people do use rose joints and there is no give in them at all.
Ray
Talon is right. Thats why road cars have soft rubber bushes. But it depends what the primary use of your car is. If you plan to use it on the track mostley then it may be worth it. Your car your choice, thats the beuty of a self build
Old 8th August 2010, 04:33 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong and I'll take what ever comes back in the sprit of a discussion. The spring absorbs the shock of the movement of the suspension parts and the damper controls the rate at which the spring responds to that movement. The fact that the pivot is attached to the chassis means the shock will travel through the chassis to some degree,this will be alittle if you use rubber or poly bushes but alot if you steel rose joints or nylon. It's a bit like hitting a spanner with a hammer, it still hurts your hand even though it's the spanner you've hit. I take your point about using a cheap material just as a build up part but when you start running over the nice white raised lines that the highways department use you may soon change your mind. I'm not saying theres a right or wrong way it just might save you having to do a job twice.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 8th August 2010, 08:23 PM

decisions decisions ay.. lol iv found a place where i can get enough delrin for two sets luckly my close mate is a lot further a head with his build and i think he may want to go for delrin himself will be interesting to see just how harsh the ride will be.
Old 9th August 2010, 12:38 AM

it really is a choice thing
once upon a time these pivots would of been bronze with a grease nipple
i guess most machinable plastic mediums could be used
the only compromise can only be comfort
the choice is yours
cheers les g
Old 9th August 2010, 08:08 AM

I rose jonted the front end of my mrs' Mini...... the vibration feedback increase was off the scale!

Still, only ever goes out once or twice a year lol
Old 9th August 2010, 11:21 AM

Just thinking and typing at the same time but whats the wall thickness of our bushes? whats the shore hardness of the polly bushes? how much movement/give are (we) talking about?
and finally those big black things on each corner (tyres if your asleep) how much give in those?
and as I said above once built and driven I may have to change but I may not
my car at least rolls on it own wheels has a working engine with bike carb conversion most of the bodywork seats working hand brake most of the electrics including lights except headlights looks different to everyone elses and current cost is less than £900
Ray
Old 13th August 2010, 08:13 PM

I've used delrin bushes in the damper 'eyes' before and after a short while the damper eye broke off the damper body due to the extra stress the 'hard' bush puts through the suspension. Pretty scary when it happened!
I would use either rubber or at a pinch polyeurothane but nothing as stiff as delrin/nylon etc.
Rose joints just for race cars as they need regular inspections and changing pretty regular too.

BV.