Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th September 2010, 07:34 PM

Default Suspension bush + Crush tube issues

I started putting the suspension bushes and crush tubes into my wishbones today, however I have ran into the issue of the bushes being an unbelievably tight interference fit into my bush tubes. They require a lot of force on my vice to get them to go in, however if they go in anything other than perfectly square then they deform and are pretty much ruined. I've already damaged one so far.

I've then discovered the issue of the crush tubes being a very tight fit again in the bush tubes, so tight that it is impossible to rotate the crush tubes by hand, even when they are only 1/4 of the way through.

Am i doing something wrong? I've checked the dims of the bush tubes and they seem ok. However i haven't checked the dims of the bushes or the crush tubes.

Wishbones, bushes and crush tubes were bought from SSC, so they should all be to spec.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 30th September 2010, 07:44 PM

have you painted or powdercoated your wishbones?

mine were the same due to my powdercoat, i fettled the inside of the bush tubes until i was happy with the fit which also required me to remove the seam inside the bushtube until it was flush

dont over do it though! they need to be a snug fit.
Old 30th September 2010, 07:46 PM

I found when I put mine together that I had to use a smear of copper grease. They will be quite tight but should go in ok as long as you keep them square. Someone told me that when the wishbones are in place they should be fairly easy to move up and down by hand but should have enough friction to stay where they are put. That's how mine are so I hope it's right.
Best,
Enoch
Old 30th September 2010, 07:47 PM

They have been very lightly spray painted, but not on the inside of the bush tube, so i dont think that will cause the issue. I will fettle a bush tube later on, including removing the weld seam to see if i can get them to fit properly.

Should the bushes just push in by hand?

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 30th September 2010, 07:51 PM

Hi simon

As it happens I have just fitted all of mine.

May I ask if your wishbones have been painted ?
one thing I noticed on mine, it did not take much of a layer of paint to make the bushes too tight .... Had to sand most of the inner sufraces right back.

They will snag & become damaged if not inserted exactly square, my own bushes needed only the lightest tap with a small plastic mallet.

Personally I would avoid the use of lubricant to the bushes but some silicone grease would be usefull when fitting the crush tubes.
These crush tubes will be too tight to turn by hand as they are meant to be a tight fit.

Once the wishbone is fitted, provided you can lift the wishbone up & down without too much resistance they should be fine once bedded in.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 30th September 2010, 07:51 PM

I used copper grease and a vice for mine.

Make sure there's no surface rust, weld splatter, paint etc inside the bushes first

My Build Diary - http://davesroadster.blogspot.com/

*updated 7/6/11*

Best bit so far: Getting it running
Worst bit so far: Cutting steel for wishbones and engine mounts.
Most annoying bit so far: Generator packing up half way through welding.
Old 30th September 2010, 08:02 PM

They are supposed to be a tight fit Tatey, the bush tube is 33.7 x 2.6mm ERW with the weld left on the inside. They should be left tight so that the bones do not rotate on the bushes but on the crush tubes instead - the weld helps to hold them in place.

If you use some 120grit paper and taper the leading edge of the bushes then push them in with the vice, making sure to keep them square. Push in 1 side at a time. Put some copper slip or silicone grease on the crush tubes, then push these in with the vice. Once you've pushed them all the way through with the vice, clamp it up tight and you will be able to rotate the bone on the crush tube. Do this with all and you will be fine.

You want them tight so that there is no play in the bushes, leading to poor feedback / handling and wear. Once all the bones are fitted the leverage on the bushes will move them nice and freely.

All the Best.....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 30th September 2010, 08:11 PM

Thinking back mine were that tight that when assembled and on the car you could push the car down on a soft damper setting and it wouldnt come back up! and it wasnt a clearance issue it was just that the tubes were so tight in the bushes, so they do sometimes need a fettle and they can be too tight.

As spud says though, you want them tight enough to have no play so it handles the way it should, which is like s#*t to a blanket!
Old 30th September 2010, 08:17 PM

The bush tubes should be machined to 28.5mm ID either by using a boring bar or using a core drill. If the seam is still in the bush tube then they are likely to be 1-1.5 too small in which case it will be a very tight fit. If the crush tubes are inserted in the poly bushes and they push in to the bush tubes by hand together they are scrap. If you can't get the poly bushes in the bush tubes I'd send them back to SSC and have them fit the bushes.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 30th September 2010, 08:57 PM

I have just put all of the front and rear suspension together including bushes and tubes and apart from removing the sharp edge where the bush was cut I had no problems and they were supplied by Saturn,all millimeter perfect and yes they are a tight fit but work a treat.

It does pay dividends to put a tiny chamfer on the arm/tube and bush.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.