Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th November 2010, 02:48 PM

Default Cvh

Looks like I've got my pack of donor bits sorted pending pickup.
This will include a 1.8cvh.
My original plan was to find a pre 95 zetec either 1.8 or 2.0 then swap for newer one if needed later. they can be hard to find though as previous threads have pointed out.

So do I stick teh CVH in for IVA. Can I be clever with the exhaust and maybe carbs, ignition and carry some of these parts over when it comes to conversion. I.e with the exhaust I could weld a new manifold plate on for the zee.
Its little things like cutting a hole in the bonnet for the CVH then needing a new bonnet or respray for fitting the zee.

I think I'll crack on with the build using thee CVH as a base, if a pre 95 zee comes up for a good price locally before I've got the manifolds etc sorted I'll swap them. I'll try and source some bike carbs that would work well with both the cvh and zee, possible???. I assume I could use the ignition system from the CVH to get it running (It's a 92 so would this be dizzy or electronic?)

Last edited by MikeB : 17th November 2010 at 02:51 PM.
Old 17th November 2010, 03:28 PM

Have a look through some of Mark's posts Mike, he has gone the same route with the cvh, as i did and a few others, and it is a very easy exchange to the zetec using many common parts. Definitely the easiest route for IVA then some serious power afterwards...

AndyH.....

Regards..........AndyH
Old 17th November 2010, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
I assume I could use the ignition system from the CVH to get it running (It's a 92 so would this be dizzy or electronic?)
The CVH uses electronic ignition via ESC-Hybrid ( Electronics Spark Control ) , which utilises a basic Distributor.

The Zetec uses EDIS-4 which is totaly distributorless.

The EDIS-4 Module will run in LOS mode with a set timing if it's PIP & SAW conections to the ECU are lost. So you can run a bike carb engine without the EEC-IV ECU but it will not be brilliant. The normal route is to use MejaJolt to control the spark.

MegaJolt + Edis4 can be used on the CVH replacing the Distributor system.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 17th November 2010, 05:43 PM

im going down the same route by the looks of it
my new idea is why not fit all the things in the first place if i can so
whynot fit bike carbs or throttlebodys to the cvh
if you wanted to be clever you can use megasquirt just to run the ign and ditch edis then you have the option of going fuel inj at any time or even go hole hog and inject the cvh then transfer it all over to the zetec
just rember a cvh is 90hp and some 2.0l new blacktops are running near double that so pick your fueling parts with caution.
a 1.6 or 1.8 would be ideal without having to upsize too much

both would be 36-1 vr trigger so what ever ign setup could be swaped over jolt or squirt

ms1 can be upgraded to ms2 by swaping the chip over if anyone didnt know
(v3 circuit would be a good idea)

its a real shame theres no tuneing bits for the 1.8 cvh!
Old 17th November 2010, 06:39 PM

It is a shame there are no tuning parts Baz, the cvh is a really nice engine. The Zx6-r or Zx9-r bike carbs match the cvh very well and also suit the zetec for later use. Knowing that mark has gone the bike carb with megajolt on cvh and is now upgrading to the zetec / st170, he orignally got 115bhp with his cvh in carbs - using 195 jets. On the Zetec i run on Zx6-r carbs the jets are actually smaller, 175's, so the carbs are quite capable of running both engines.

Bodes well for IVA emissions to, then no need to worry after with a new zetec engine in. Just my opinion but i believe its the easiest route through iva then good power afterwards at an affordable price.

Cheers...AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 17th November 2010, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

When you collect the parts, make sure you get the engine loom and ESC module.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 18th November 2010, 05:56 PM

Not 100% sure as i havne't got it yet but think it's carbed with the early electronic ignition with half a dizzy.
Think I'll get it running as is, then see if I want to megajolt and bike carb it before cutting holes in bonnets etc, its all a long way off though!
If I get some zx6/9r carbs for its does anyone know the jets needed to get it through the basic emission test? I wouldn't really want to pay much for a rolling road tuning session knowing I was going to swap it out pretty quickly.

M
Old 18th November 2010, 06:03 PM

if you pm mark but i'm sure he's got 195 in his after his rolling road and passed emissions no probs.

Regards..........AndyH
Old 20th November 2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
Mike and Baz-r

Can I ask if your CVH are Carbed before?

Not necessary a daft question as my 91 engine is carbed and an acquired 92 engine is CFI (Injection).

If not sure, then simple answer would be does it have dizzy fitted at front or not. If CFI it does not but have dizzy but has a coil pack fitted to side of block and will already use EDIS so is a very good proposal for bike carbs or any carb and Megajolt.

The heads are also different between the two, but what not sure at present.

Adrian
mine is on a carb but i i dont think it makes any diffrence if you are fitting squirt or jolt.
edis is needed for jolt and can be used for squirt but you can add an extra coil driver(4cyl) and bypass edis
Old 20th November 2010, 08:37 AM

Thanks all, would the 195 jet be specific to the zx9r carbs, if I got some other similar size bike carbs us a similar getting likely to work? Yzf