Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th March 2015, 08:36 AM

Default wheel spacers

I have now started working on the new build but have a question the wheels that came with the car are peugot wheels and the offset is 15-20 so not suitable which is a shame cause I quite like them so my question is would using spacers make them suitable or am I missing the point of spacers

If it would work what size spacers would I need to make the offset right
Old 9th March 2015, 08:48 AM

Most people use wheel spacers to make the track wider and to give clearance where tyres rub on things like inner arches or just make it look like the wheel fills the arches better. Some one will be along soon to correct me but I thought most ford offsets where around 35-45 ET which means most of the rim is inboard of the uprights, by fitting pug rims the rim is more out board so makes the track wider and adds to the leverage that the wishbones has on the spring and damper. It will also have an effect on the 'scrub' but I can't think of a good way of explaining that just now...... google perhaps?

Direct email talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com
Old 9th March 2015, 08:54 AM

ok so I'm ready to be shot down but like Phil said spacers are primarily used to "fill the arches" so looking at the pics you posted, there is a bit of clearance from side to sidewall , so try a rear arch on and see if you like it if not space to suit.
Only thing I would say is make sure you buy good spacers / studs as there use to be some dodgy ones around
good luck with the build and keep us posted
Old 9th March 2015, 08:56 AM

As a general rule of thumb wheels spacers shouldn't be more than 1/2" thick without being fixed to the hub otherwise you risk putting too much bending load on the wheel studs.

The offset should be sized to put the centre of the rim in-line with the steering joints for best handling, but this often isn't possible without in-board brakes.
Old 10th March 2015, 10:35 AM

Mine had Ford rims with an offset of 42mm, I fancied a set of Pug rims which were 18mm offset. That meant the wheels farther out from the car center line by 42 - 18 = 24mm messing up the geometry a fair bit. Adding a spacer would make the situation worse. I ended up with another set of Ford rims.

BTW I found that 14" rims would not fit the standard rear hubs so ended up with 15" rims
Old 10th March 2015, 07:18 PM

Will have to change the wheels then

need some front brake calipers first though
Old 11th March 2015, 09:57 AM

Came across this offset calculator in my interweb travels, not sure if it's of any use to you.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator#