Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th February 2012, 09:10 PM

cheers matey, ill have a look and see if i can brace it somehow. dont really fancy adding additional 3mm plate underneath to strengthen it, as it will drop the diff 3mm lower, and my idea of a 25x3mm strip prob wont work either.
Old 5th February 2012, 09:49 PM

ive had a look at my factory built chassis. its 3mm and the rear driveline is installed but it seems very solid. The diff is also supported by the length of tube underneath that stops this from moving forward and backwards. If you were planning to strengthen it you could add another plate on top then the diff wouldn't be 3 mm lower.

not planning on any additional support on mine though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 6th February 2012, 07:31 PM

That design is very weak, there isn't any diagonal bracing of any kind and will fail during use.
Old 6th February 2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto7 View Post
That design is very weak, there isn't any diagonal bracing of any kind and will fail during use.
If you're going to have a dig at anything Mark then at least have the balls to do it under your own regular login allowing other users to know who is making these comments and the reasons why. You are still a director of Vodou auto kits aren't you?

Back to the subject of the diff plates, the design of the chassis was intended to follow the Haynes chassis with only minimal / relevant changes required to fit mazda running gear. The car has had some good abuse now and thrashing about the estate, had a good look over the full chassis and everything looks fine, after all most of the weight of the diff is taken by the bottom fixing rather than hanging off the top frame. If there is any doubt though then sure upgrade the plate to 5mm.

All the Best.....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 6th February 2012, 09:20 PM

Update:

I made some new plates from 5mm at work earlier.
Just been out in the shed and have cut the old 3mm ones off and replacing them with the new 5mm ones.
I'm much happier now. I cant get them to flex at all by hand.

Andy

Who were your replying to auto7?
Old 6th February 2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud69 View Post
If you're going to have a dig at anything Mark then at least have the balls to do it under your own regular login allowing other users to know who is making these comments and the reasons why. You are still a director of Vodou auto kits aren't you?

Back to the subject of the diff plates, the design of the chassis was intended to follow the Haynes chassis with only minimal / relevant changes required to fit mazda running gear. The car has had some good abuse now and thrashing about the estate, had a good look over the full chassis and everything looks fine, after all most of the weight of the diff is taken by the bottom fixing rather than hanging off the top frame. If there is any doubt though then sure upgrade the plate to 5mm.

All the Best.....AndyH
im sure the 3mm is fine too andy. nowt wrong with the design too. everything on your guide fits in perfect so far with my build anyway. im gonna leave mine till i fit the diff, then have a look at it from there. im not keen on the negative comments either, i like the good old saying of,

"if you have nothing nice (or constructive) to say, then dont say anything at all!!"

cheers,
stew
Old 6th February 2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto7 View Post
Auto/Mark,

I normally keep well outside of the politics in this forum but really agree with the other users who have realised.

If you cannot say anything positive then maybee don't say it... or at least provide some evidence like structural analysis.

I did have a look at all of the post you have written and all of them seem to be derogatory and negative.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 6th February 2012, 11:36 PM

Once I've finalised my chassis design (Nicknamed the Raptor) for an MX5 donor I'll make the plans available. It's a really nice design which looks good and has additional bracing in some area's similar to the aussie mods. Welding should be finished and pics to be posted within a fortnight.

Paul
Old 7th February 2012, 08:29 AM

I was sent a link to this thread so I thought I best have a look to see what all the fuss is about, I see I am being accused of being someone else yet again........

For the last time, I am not auto 7 !!
I barely remember my login details using my own name let alone having other user names !!
Old 7th February 2012, 06:54 PM

Isn't it funny the tangents some forum threads go off in!