Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th May 2013, 11:27 AM

Cool

Make sure that the engine stays in the same angle as what it sits in the bike, otherwise there could be a problem with fueling, due to the carb not being level. Try and keep the original bike cradle if possible, and once it's lined up with the prop, run your 25mm box across the bay to suit your engine cradle. I only know this because I built a buggy, and had fuel problems, and that's what caused it. Hope this helps you out !
Old 11th June 2013, 08:09 PM

i picked up some team dynamic pro race 1.2 s the other day ive put a photo on photo bucket they were a bargin for £41 of fleabayich

ive been havin thoughts of a change of direction with the engine side of things instead of bike power ive been considering the mx5 1.8 ive been offered a 100,000 mile engine and box with prop wiring loom and ecu for £350 which is very tempting my chassis is setup for a type 9 ford box will this setup drop straight in as ive been looking at trl fabrications supercharger kits and it all looks very tempting for very low money

Id love some input on people past experience with mx5 installs and so on

cheers mark
Old 11th June 2013, 08:41 PM

also im of to newark this weekend hoping to maybe buy the coilovers any advice prices to expect to pay and manufactures ?
Old 11th June 2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkybagnall View Post
i picked up some team dynamic pro race 1.2 s the other day ive put a photo on photo bucket they were a bargin for £41 of fleabayich

ive been havin thoughts of a change of direction with the engine side of things instead of bike power ive been considering the mx5 1.8 ive been offered a 100,000 mile engine and box with prop wiring loom and ecu for £350 which is very tempting my chassis is setup for a type 9 ford box will this setup drop straight in as ive been looking at trl fabrications supercharger kits and it all looks very tempting for very low money

Id love some input on people past experience with mx5 installs and so on

cheers mark
Hi Mark,
Chassis wise the Sierra is quite a bit different in rear suspension framework, rear of transmission tunnel and minor steering mounting differences...
I've not looked at it but I guess a work around is more than possible.
My build was based on the Saturn plans which points out most of the major differences to the original Haynes book build.
Also wishbones are different for the two cars.
I think I still have a copy in PDF format if you wish to look at it?

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/JohnoSS1/

Johno
Old 21st June 2013, 10:24 PM

just starting to refurb my front hubs ive read that the hole needs making larger for the ball joints what has everyone used for the job i saw ash g had used a reemer
Old 22nd June 2013, 12:07 AM

Lightbulb

Use bmw 5 series track rod ends. That is what I am using, and they are the perfect taper for the mx5 hub. Try and get ones for a saloon around 1995. If you like I can dig out the part number ? Eurocarpats.com are really cheap for them, just type in 2l petrol and they will pop up. I bought mine when they had a sale on, which they have frequently, and they were 2 for £11 delivered. Keep in mind that if you do use them, the threaded insert in your front top wishbones have to be tapped out to m14 x 1.5
Old 22nd June 2013, 11:25 PM

ive got all sierra book spec running gear its only the engine and box with a adapted prop from the mx5 im planing on using ive already picked up the joints from eds motorsport hes only a few streets from me and really cheap he has a ebay shop as well worth a look for anyone after those bits and more