Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th February 2011, 04:52 PM

like someone else said i would recommend a focus or mondeo 2.0tdi (dura torque) my dad has been using a hatchback version as a van for the last year and well... its brilliant, can get 4 people, with loads of tools and gear and it pulls just as well as 1 person and nothing else in the car!

brilliant engines those dura torques, should easily pull the roadster and can be used as an every-day car too.
Old 12th February 2011, 04:37 PM

My old mans due to sell his saab 9-5 estate 2.3 se (turbo)leather witter towbar etc etc pm for more details if youd like them.
Old 12th February 2011, 05:06 PM

If you go down the Ford route with a 2.0 TDCI (dura torque) motor bware of the dreaded dual mass flywheel. The bloody things break up and first symptom is starting problems. you replace the starter only to find three weeks later its failing again cos its full of iron filings from the DMF breaking up.

D.
Old 13th February 2011, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterob View Post
My old mans due to sell his saab 9-5 estate 2.3 se (turbo)leather witter towbar etc etc pm for more details if youd like them.
Nice, but I'm after a diesel. Thanks anyway Rob.

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46
Old 13th February 2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey View Post
If you go down the Ford route with a 2.0 TDCI (dura torque) motor bware of the dreaded dual mass flywheel. The bloody things break up and first symptom is starting problems. you replace the starter only to find three weeks later its failing again cos its full of iron filings from the DMF breaking up.

D.
A good mate of mine has this exact trouble with his mondeo, has been quoted £500 - £750 to repair it.

Car shopping on hold for the time being. My mother in law was rushed into hospital on Friday night. The wife couldn't raise her on the phone and went to check on her, found her fitting (she's an epileptic) and blue. She had been stuck on the floor for about 5 hours.

Back home recovering now, but car shopping has taken a back seat (forgive the pun) till she is ok. This was her first episode for about 30 years.

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46
Old 13th February 2011, 09:55 AM

Sorry to hear about the mother-in-law hope she recovers soon, just to add my views to the towcar debate, I have a nissan terrano that I pull a caravan with and use as my daily runner back and too to work. I regularly get 32 to the gallon wheather towing or not. It is the 2.7turbo diesel and you just dont feel anything behind you, bought it last year for £1500 and it is great really comfortable whatever distance you do (avoid the petrol version it drinks fuel)
Old 13th February 2011, 01:02 PM

Thumbs up

I'll second "ARF" about Terranos, mine since new in 2003 is a 2.7TDS SWB and they are way underated. The 2.7TD engine is bulletproof, gives 32 MPG no problem, will pull anything and is a fantastic performer in winter & snow, Recommended, Dave.
Old 13th February 2011, 05:33 PM

But driving a Terrano is like driving a four seater Massey Ferguson . to be fair the Terrano/Maverick is not a bad tool but I'd not want to do a long journey in one. the same can be said for most 4X4s IMHO unless they have independent suspension. One of the best 4X4s I have driven for driver comfort is the Nissan Xtrail, brilliantly comfortable car and handlkes like a car rather than a farm implement.

D.
Old 13th February 2011, 05:49 PM

but the x-trail doesn't have a low ratio gear and as I tow either a caravan or a 6mtr dive rib the x-trail doesn't cut it. And as for comfort swmbo wont travel far unless its comfortable and this summer we are off to Devon from North Wales so it must have some comfort
Old 13th February 2011, 06:14 PM

Default Nissan

Davey,
I must admit the X trail and Pathfinder are a better, more modern proposition, but expensive. Mine took me 3200mls to Spain and back with no problems, certainly a lot faster than an old Grey Fergie!. It's nothing like a tractor and people comment how smooth the engine is. Anyway, I'm a big fan, everybody has their own favourite make, even Skoda won Towcar of the Year with the Octavia, Dave.