Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th November 2010, 10:40 PM

Default Any sheetmetal workers here - after some advice.

I've been pondering how to deal with the aluminium shoulder panels and the side support SS1 strips. I've been thinking about either finding some sort of edge trim to cover the outer edge, or to form the aluminium over SS1 like a flange.

So tonight a had an experiment and managed to form quite a nice flange over SS1, the only diffiulty I've encountered is the panel (and the ends particulalry) are forming a curve and pulling away from the car.

Does anyone have any advice on how to avoid this happening?? Any tips on flange forming or tutorials in general would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
Old 10th November 2010, 11:09 PM

You won't get that shape out of one piece of material easily. You'll need heat some good clamps and about 10 years worth of planishing skills to do it. I'm planning on making finish trim for mine with some 4-5mm ali strip held on with counter sunk allen screws and use rivicals (threaded rivets) through SS1.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 10th November 2010, 11:28 PM

Thanks Talon

I did wonder if I was over doing things a bit! THis is how far my experiment got on a piece of scrap -

How are you planning to put a radius between your trim piece on SS1 and the side sheet?

Cheers

Dave
Old 11th November 2010, 08:13 AM

Hi Dave, the reason that the metal has skewed is that you need to "shrink" shrink the flange for convex curves and stretch the edge for concave curves. The result at the bottom of your picture is indicative of not shrinking the edge. At the top of the picture this is also true but it looks like you did not hold things tightly enough against your forming block.

I have a book on this some where, I'll see if I can find it and email you the relevant page.

Also there is a guy over on "LocostBuilders" who did the whole body of his car in Ali - bit of a legend by all accounts - might be worth a post over there.
Old 11th November 2010, 06:13 PM

There are a couple of bodywork lads on the locostbuilders forum - 2CV has just posted a series of threads that have been made into a pdf on making various parts out of ali. The other bloke is 907.
Old 11th November 2010, 06:26 PM

Have a look at this thread on retro rides it should explain how to do what you want.
http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=usetharch&action=display&thread=70 135&page=1
Old 11th November 2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigheppy View Post
Have a look at this thread on retro rides it should explain how to do what you want.
http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=usetharch&action=display&thread=70 135&page=1
Very verrrrrrrrry good link.

J
Old 11th November 2010, 08:53 PM

Thanks for all the tips guys. That retro rides link is fantastic. Off to Brugge this weekend with the better half but when I get back I will have another go with the panel and see how I get on.
Old 12th November 2010, 10:32 PM

Hi there, gtipping is correct you need to shrink flange. You can do this simply by using a pair of pliers and twistingto left or right and then move a little along flange and twist other way so you form a inverted V in flange. You will then need to beat down V back into itself working from bend to outer edge. This will shrink metal back and form curve, you will need to do afew along edge and maybe you will have to repeat but do it a bit at atime so you dont overdo it. To keep panel flat, lay piece on flat metal surface with flange up and hammer on edge of flange. There is a great DVD you can get by David Gardiner called Bodywork Restoration Tutorial this can be bought from
www.metalshapingzone.com.
hope this helps
tony