Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th January 2011, 05:09 PM

Here,s a couple of pics showing where the GRP side panels meet the GRP rear tub.....

I,ve fitted the rear tub / side panel to meet in the middle of D9 & D10, photo shows it without side panel fitted then with side panel fitted & it shows quite a nice flush fit to eachother,
please ignore the rear wing in the 2nd pic, I was in the process of aligning the wing for final fitment.

cheers
andy

There is only approx 2 inches of the join showing once the rear wing is fitted.

Hope the pics help.
Old 8th January 2011, 05:36 PM
fabbyglass

Some kind of double edgey type stuff would hide the join, at least that's what was on my mind when the original stuff was made. Did toy with making the rear tub and sides as one section but soon dropped that mad idea as carriers would have a field day smashing it into nice small bits

Fitting the whole kit makes the car stand out and dare I say, quite a bit better than some more expensive kits

Time Mr Spud got that full body sorted methinks
Old 8th January 2011, 05:39 PM
fabbyglass

I wonder, been thinking and for me that's not a good plan Full monocoque including big chunks of body work plan being hatched....
Old 8th January 2011, 06:23 PM

Many thanks andy, thats just what I was looking for.

On another note how did you attatch the tub as I can't see any fixings or was it held on with the black electrical tape?
Old 8th January 2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriesLandy View Post
Many thanks andy, thats just what I was looking for.

On another note how did you attatch the tub as I can't see any fixings or was it held on with the black electrical tape?
No worries, glad the pics help

& for your question of not seeing any fixings.....Thanks for that as that was my intention

My rear tub is secured to the chassis with M6 stainless bolts into rivnuts under the GRP1 spar, a couple of the same bolts/rivnuts up the D11 & SB1, tho these fixing points also secure the rear wing,
basically what I,ve done is bolted the wings to the tub & bolted the tub to the chassis, so if I need to I can remove it all from the chassis.
I also used stainless nylocs when securing the wings as its no doubt going to get covered in road muck under the arches

I,ve also used ( but not in photo ) "tadpole beading" between the rear arches / tub mating surfaces.

cheers
Andy
Old 8th January 2011, 07:24 PM

Hello Steve,

HAndy has beaten me to it..... But yes description and pics are spot on.

Now that i've got round to doing a cutting plan for the front of the side panels i think its about time i did a comprehensive fitting guide for the body kit on the Saturn site. It's not complicated but i think a lot of people find it a bit daunting having to cut their panels to fit them and need a bit of reassurance during the fitting.

Thanks for the push Mark, will get round to it sometime just haven't got enough space or time at the minute with other things going on. Speaking of monocoque chassis had an old Robin Hood '7' monocoque car in during the week for repairs to the front end where the full front suspension arrangement had come away from the fixings onto the monocoque front end, was quite worrying the way it had come away. However, for the age of the car it was impressive in some ways. All turned out well though with the front end remade with 3mm and 5mm plate. Got some pics at work i will add on Monday.

Regards....>AndyH

Regards..........AndyH