Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th November 2012, 10:57 PM

Painting mine was no problem at all. You just have to make sure that any surface cracks in the gelcoat are prepared and filled as any small cracks and bits of crazing in the gelcoat would show through.
Though i do like the style of a gelcoat finish there are advantages to painting as you no longer have to live with the small nicks and scratches which inevitably build up in high impact areas of the gelcoat after a few years of driving.

Vinyl wrapping is also a good option; not as huge a colour choice as paint but it works out a lot cheaper than a professional respray, looks just as good and has the option of pearescent or carbon fibre effect finishes.
Old 17th November 2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
Nope it looks cock on tele magenta is a kinda pinky purple.

Ally gel coat is pants and needs to be sprayed, if you have ever used ally paint then you will get my drift. I tried ally gel years ago as wanted to do my car ally and black but the gel swirls as you brush it and like any messing about with odd effects with gel you don't know till it's made and popped from mould.

I have sprayed gel coat on wave skis and the effects you can get are wicked BUT as it's sprayed it tends to be thin so any scratches tend to show the colour underneath. Oh and spray gel stinks far worse than brushing gel....
We do a lot of spray gel with the glitter jewels for fair ground rides and thought the RAL9006 white aluminum gel coat would look good, it doesn't you are correct with pants.
The magenta is pink the same as your printer cartridge, this does look nice its a colour we offer as standard.
Old 19th November 2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alga View Post
Yes, you can paint GRP, but why would you want to paint it in a dull, dark, boring family sedan colour?
Because Vauxhall Polar Sea Blue is a 2 coat pearlescant paint and it looks lovely.
Its a nice blue colour until the sun hits it and then its a nice purple colour with little speckles in it.

Million times better than a standard RAL colour!
Old 19th November 2012, 05:43 PM

[quote=alga;80837]Yes, you can paint GRP, but why would you want to paint it in a dull, dark, boring family sedan colour?[/QUOTE

You could call british racing green a dull boring colour but stick a yellow stripe through the middle of the car and it looks great. Everyone would have a different take on whats right colourwise.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669