Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd September 2014, 10:15 PM

Congratulations. 2 baby's in one year is good going.

My first is due at the end of the month, good luck with sleep!
Old 2nd September 2014, 10:28 PM

Thank you lads. Its a definite change of pace to life. Good luck with yours Landy.

In a weird twist of fate as my wife and I work together I usually take her to work with me, as shes on maternity for a number of months I get the opportunity to take the car out much more often.

Cheers
Stot
Old 4th September 2014, 10:19 AM

Congrats mate, mine was born 8 months ago tomorrow, which is why I haven't been about much.

Good job you've finished your car, as you wouldn't have much time to spend on it!
Old 15th September 2014, 09:56 PM

Going to make up some stone guards for my rear wings so I made up some paper templates to test for size.

Cheers
Stot
Old 22nd September 2014, 09:42 PM

About ready to turbo this thing. I found a brand new old stock genuine garrett SAAB 900 turbo the same as my testfit one for under £200 so cant really go wrong there.

I cut the flange off the old SAAB downpipe elbow and ill weld up a 2.25" elbow to it to mate up to the existing exhaust. Should be plenty big enough for the turbo according to the corky bell book the downpipe should be 10% bigger than the outlet of the turbo, which is 2".

Just waiting on oil feed and drain lines to turn up from HK and Ill have everything I need to get somewhere between 170hp and 200hp.

Cheers
Stot
Old 24th September 2014, 10:31 PM

I have machined the downpipe flange so that the pipe is an interference fit so welding the cast flange to the mild steel pipe should hold up OK hopefully.

It will likely be shorter than this but Ill leave enough pipe so that if it does crack I can weld a new flange on.

List of parts for the conversion now is

Megasquirt - Already in
LC-2 Wideband - Already in
Cleaned and flow matched 440cc injectors
2.25" intake pipework.
12" x 10" core intercooler.
Cast turbo manifold
Garrett TBO312 turbo
Turbo oil feed and drain pipes.

Should be pretty straight forward other than drilling the sump for the oil drain. Pipework is good for about 1.7 power ratio which should see me at 190ish with a nice quick spool so hopefully improve the low-mid range.

Cheers
Stot
Old 27th September 2014, 07:55 PM

Intercooler and merc rad just about fit in the nose with a fan pulling from behind.

Just put my air filter on if for now til I fab up a downpipe for the turbo.

Cheers
Stot
Old 13th October 2014, 01:30 PM

Slowly getting this turbo on. No light when I get home from work and a new baby are limiting my time but I managed to make some progress.

I cut relief cuts into my manifold as recommended on various miata sited to help reduce the likelyhood of it cracking. The idea is to allow it to expand over time.

I also had to mill the back edges of some of the bolt holes flat as the casting was fairly uneven on the lower ones but I got it all mounted up with new hardware.

The lower nuts and especially the middle nut was pretty impossible to get to so Im super glad I purchased a new Halfords tool kit a couple of weeks ago with ratchet ended spanners as they were the only things I could get in there!

Also got the turbo mounted up. Its been clocked to suit and I made up an adapter for a banjo oil line fitting for it.

On the 1.6 MX5 there is already a take off point for high pressure oil so an M10 x 1.5 banjo fits in there easy.

Last edited by Stot : 13th October 2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 13th October 2014, 01:36 PM

My downpipe looks ok, I have a 45* and another 90* to get out of the existing side panel hole.

Ill likely have to rehome my washer bottle.

Ill also likely make up a jig when its all done and get one made up in stainless when this one rots/falls apart.

Cheers
Stot
Old 19th October 2014, 12:39 AM

Dropped the sump to put the turbo return line in and decided to go for shortening the sump while I have it off as I already scraped it a few times.

I was going to cut the plate to fit this on my mill but its a bit too big for the table so Ill l be chopping and filing I guess.

Cheers
Stot