Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd September 2011, 01:49 PM

Default Saturn MX5 Front Upper Wishbones

Hi this is a question mainly for Saturn but any answers would be great.

I have just drawn up the wishbones on Autodesk Inventor and am wondering if you kept the angles of the tube from the assumed centre line the same as the book e.g. 17.5deg and 29deg? The only reason I ask is that these dimensions push the tubes to the top of the threaded round bar and wonder if they would be better angled in a bit more to bring them down a little to get a gap from the top for welding.

These are the dimensions I have drawn them at but just want to make sure before I manufacture them.

This is the drawing I have done for reference.

http://bamaroadster.blogspot.com/

Many thanks

Andy
Old 23rd September 2011, 02:12 PM

Hi Andy,

Knew somebody would have spotted the mistake, I have updated the build guide and plans for the front upper wishbone - it looks like i have picked up the wrong wishbone jig when measuring up for the build guide. The correct measurements answers your query. Too much rushing about.

I am just in the process of adding more to the guide, ie diff and gearbox lower mounts, handbrake fixings and cable mounts as well as updated pedal box for the hydraulic clutch and various other things. Will have the updated guide on the website for Monday, it will be marked with rev 2 to be sure you download the correct one.

Thanks Again Andy.....AndyH

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysredmini View Post
Hi this is a question mainly for Saturn but any answers would be great.

I have just drawn up the wishbones on Autodesk Inventor and am wondering if you kept the angles of the tube from the assumed centre line the same as the book e.g. 17.5deg and 29deg? The only reason I ask is that these dimensions push the tubes to the top of the threaded round bar and wonder if they would be better angled in a bit more to bring them down a little to get a gap from the top for welding.

These are the dimensions I have drawn them at but just want to make sure before I manufacture them.

This is the drawing I have done for reference.

http://bamaroadster.blogspot.com/

Many thanks

Andy

Regards..........AndyH
Old 26th September 2011, 06:42 PM

Hi Andy
Thanks for your reply.
I hadn't noticed anything was wrong with the drawings!
I drew my plans by first drawing the jig and positioning the bushing tubes and 30mm round bar on the jig. then sketched between them and added the tube to the sketch.
I'm looking forward to the new revision so I can get off the computer and actually build the wishbones.

I worked out earlier how to get Autodesk Inventor to produce a paper template to print out and wrap around the tube to mark the fish-mouths for tubes. I did a test piece earlier on some scrap tube and it worked perfectly.
Ill upload them to my blog when the dimensions are finalised in the build guide revision.

Thanks for your hard work on the guide. It really is appreciated

Andy
Old 8th January 2012, 09:22 PM

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but ive got a quick question for anyone who has built mx 5 based wishbones for their haynes roadster:- does the outboard threaded insert still have the "book" diameter of 30mm?

im guessing it does, but thought id better check before machining them.

cheers,
stew
Old 12th January 2012, 01:13 PM

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7422