Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th September 2011, 09:14 PM

Question Gas/Emissions Tester

A long shot maybe .....

Does anyone local to me have a portable Gas / Emissions tester that I can borrow please ?

I,m pretty certain that my engine / carb is running very rich so would like to try & set it up correctly

I,ve done alot of work on the cylinder head recently, new cam followers, new stem seals, cleaned the combustion chambers, valve seats etc , all new gaskets etc etc,

Getting a bit too much smoke from the exhaust when I floor the throttle & you can smell the unburnt fuel .

Any suggestions ? ( apart from change the engine ).

cheers
andy
Old 15th September 2011, 12:36 PM

hi andy

havnt got one unfortunately

but think you would struggle to set it up without some of seeing whats coming out properly. guessing isnt gonna help.

how far off are you from the IVA now then mate? gotta still do the hartside run before years up yet!!
Old 15th September 2011, 05:54 PM

how about a gunsons colourtune if thay are still about
its like a glass spark plug and you ajust the mix until you get a good colour of combustion.
other thing to check is the old pierburg 2e3's auto choke is coming right off as thay can play up
Old 15th September 2011, 08:16 PM

Blue smoke is rich mixture and white too lean or oil,local MOT station may help with emission tester,I have one but you are 45 miles away unless you fancy a run out

Just book it in for test here

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.

Last edited by flyerncle : 15th September 2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 15th September 2011, 08:33 PM

Talking

Does anyone local to me have a portable Gas / Emissions tester that I can borrow please

I dont think you will have much luck with a this type of gas meter, you can only read and set idle mixture, it wont help with things like to much accelerator pump or any of the off idle fueling.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669

Last edited by robo : 15th September 2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 15th September 2011, 08:44 PM

It can be checked through out the revs with MOT gas tester as with the test procedure and it is possible to see if the throttle pump is working by the HC and CO change and flooding would give mental CO reading,the old days of screw the mixture screw in until it nearly stalls are long gone sadly,bring back points and condenser my life would be much easier (39 years in the trade)

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 16th September 2011, 12:27 AM

ah andy i do have one of those gunson colour tune thingies if you wanna use it? never ever used it yet but your welcome to try it out?
Old 16th September 2011, 09:36 PM

Thanks for your input guys

Tex..... great stuff, yes please if I may borrow that colourtune kit it,ll at the very least give me some indication of the mixture, thanks.....with regard the IVA test......soon.....very soon, but I,m not saying when as want to keep it secret until the day

Baz... You mentioned the auto choke....hmmm good point, so I went & checked this & I have it disconnected & also have it so that it can,t open/close or vice versa....tho you maybe on to something here , as I,m not 100% sure how I have it set up is correct, will check it out a bit more .

Paul & Bob..........Now this where yet again the legalities of driving a "kit Car/ self built car" is a grey area....I,ll explain....

I went to the Police main TRAFFIC section HQ up here & asked them if I,m allowed to drive my yet to be IVA tested car to an MOT station, I was honest & told them that as yet it has no registration documents as not been IVA,d yet, explained that it is insured as it has a chassis number issued by the DVLA etc etc , & obviously no Road Tax Disc as not registered blah de blah.....I explained that the purpose of driving it to an MOT station was to get the brake balance/efficiency checked & to set up my fueling to pass the emissions test at the IVA test......so, I was being totally up front etc....

The response.....

Ooh dunno , if you had no plates & were seen on the road you would be pulled, I said yes I understand but for the reasons ( above) then would a Police officer "book " me ....

reply .....

Erm ....don,t know, never heard of this situation before, the officer said ..
It,d be best to trailer it was his final suggestion.

So I replied with....."so whats the difference between driving to the IVA test center or an MOT station?"....both options need to be pre booked etc...

The police had no explanation ....

Makes one wonder eh??

cheers
andy
Old 16th September 2011, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

andy speak to vosa. your vehicle can be driven to any ministry of transport approved test without registration or tax but it must have a chassis number to be identified by and valid insurance linked to that chassis number.

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 16th September 2011, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
andy speak to vosa. your vehicle can be driven to any ministry of transport approved test without registration or tax but it must have a chassis number to be identified by and valid insurance linked to that chassis number.
That was my "take" on it too Ash, so thats what I,m going to do, book it in to a MOT station just around the corner from Saturn .

It just makes one wonder...when the TRAFFIC police don,t know the rules , ho hum....then I,ll have the DVLA process to go thru after the IVA test, left hand not knowing what right hand is doing springs to mind .

cheers
andy