Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th August 2009, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
sorry to chuck a spaner in the works but your engine mounts are wrong. they should be set square. will post a picture up in the moning to show what i mean.
That made me rush out & look. Then have a re-read of the book

I am guilty as charged

Fair cop gov, I did it all

Just as well, I don't think it will make any difference to the load bearing properties of the mount.

I can see now what I have done. Made the mounts square instead of turning the top plates around

That's the trouble with fabricating on auto pilot, logical assembly is not always the case.

At least I don't have to get the grinder out

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 8th August 2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
If any body on here is looking to buy a chassis I can supply a basic chassis with transmission tunnel,suspension mounts,full wish bone set less bushes, engine mounts,seat belt anchors,stearing collumn and rack mounts for £650.
Delivery or collection 10 days after 20% deposit paid.
As for any body selling any thing on ebay the very best of luck to you.

That is a very good deal. What about the essential roll-over bar, though? I think you should include it and adjust the price upwards accordingly, or at least list it as an available extra.

I'm going to guess that the reason that the original poster (Clydeautomarine) is asking such a high price is that he is thinking in terms of what would be a good return for the labour and materials he is expending.

What is clear to people who read this forum all the time (and I suspect that the OP does not) is that other people such as Talon and Handy have a less expensive set-up, or work faster, or are prepared to work for less money.

If the Clydeautomarine people had been reading here regularly they would have known that asking £977.50 for a bare chassis(even though that does include powder coating) was the equivalent of ****** the ****.

Last edited by mr henderson : 8th August 2009 at 10:15 AM.
Old 8th August 2009, 10:41 AM
fabbyglass

I agree with you on ebay.....unless it's cheaper than cheap things just don't sell anymore that's why I gave up with it.

One snag can arise with folk offering such varied prices...and that's a high street price war and one I don't intend to get involved in. I have seen seats similar to mine at £35 a pair cheaper and even been asked If I would knock mine down.......sooner give up than work for nothing and be a busy idiot.
They are cheaper because made in bigger numbers and also made differently, mine are made to order and quite labour intensive due to the way they are made.

Good luck to anyone taking the plunge.
Old 8th August 2009, 10:47 AM

I have to agree thats a lot of money, if anyone wants to buy my chassis for £700 without p/coating come on round and ill make another lol.
as for the issue of the engine mounts I got my phone out quick to check and was relieve I hadnt made the same mistake.
on reflection though im sure it wont make any difference as long as the mount rubber can be put in the right place.
and i certainly wouldnt change it if id had my chassis powdercoated
but if i were making a business of chassis building i would check check and check again and possibly get somone esle to check too before putting up for sale.
on the other hand these are customer chassis and its possible the customer specified a different specification.
and finally it still looks nice
Old 8th August 2009, 10:56 AM
fabbyglass

I wouldn't do the engine mounts like that anyway, there is a much easier way that lets you position your engine/box where you want it even after powder coating and all that's needed are two holes drilling......simples.
Old 8th August 2009, 12:25 PM

Can you buy a cheap Porsche,Bentley,Ferrari,Lambo,No can you hell as like.
If you buy cheap expect crap and dont be dissapointed with what you get,as Fabby says bespoke goods are made to order and cost's are in respect of time spent and labour intensive.
My dad was a tailor and made suits for customers that fitted and cost £300/400 pounds,you get what you pay for.
Old 8th August 2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post
,you get what you pay for.
I think I see what you arre getting at, and I'm not trying to go against it, but that saying does rather suggest that if you pay more you get better stuff, and that's not always true. For instance, right on this very thread we've got a bare chassis (with powder coat) at £977.50 against a chassis (without powder coat) but with other bits for very much less. If we go by the "get what you pay for" saying then we have to assume that the Clydeautomarine chassis is very much better. I would be VERY surprised if that turned out to be true.
Old 8th August 2009, 12:47 PM
fabbyglass

Yes you do get what you pay for but also there are folk that produce things that should cost a lot more.
At the end of the day there is a set of plans to make the chassis and folk are happy with a 900 quid chassis....when it comes to the body work it's a different bag of onions because there are NO drawings to work from so a shape has to be made then painted then moulded yet folk say bodywork is expensive...

Best I crawl back under my rock, feeling sorry for myself today as twatted my wrist and scuppered myself for a good few days
Old 8th August 2009, 01:09 PM

Not picking holes in anything or with anyone and my moto is "expect nothing and you wont be dissapointed" and without seeing the goods pictures do not show off the goods to their best,look at Jordan,(no thanks).
People make things for a good reason,self satisfaction (Roadster,I made this!)
for other people (sale) and the old cherry Profit.

You only have to read this forum and a zillion others and you get the same old same old every time,people are entitled to their opinion right or wrong.

My point is,look at what you are getting/buying and if it pleases you and is what you require buy it.
Caveat Emptor if I remember correctly is latin for "Buyer Beware do I need to say more...........

And this is not aimed at or near any individual for any reason and the vendors that frequent the site/forum by their own admission are genuinely involved in the product/manufacture.

The cost is a premium factor of course but who is to say that a chassis from north of Watford for a larger amount is better than one from the southern regions for a lesser amount
again I have no axe to grind and really dont give a toss,choice is exactly that !
Flack awaited....

Last edited by flyerncle : 8th August 2009 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Re-read other post
Old 8th August 2009, 01:28 PM

No flack required Paul, your words/comments are spot on.

whilst i,m not going to go into my pricing structure, i feel the prices i have quoted offer a service to supply a chassis kit at a price that covers my costs etc & a little more to cover my time & enable me to hopefully develop my venture.

i sincerely wish anyone that offers similar kit/kits the very best of luck & success in their venture & i am sure the customer base is strong enough to make their own choice of supplier from their own reasoning.

best regards
andy