Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd May 2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
One successfully 450mm narrowed mx5 seat. Once I'm happy with the recline angle, I'll remove the adjuster and use it as a template to make a 3mm plate bracket instead. Bit baggy on the base but hey it was free! Oh and it weighs only 9.5kg without all the extra brackets and gubbins.
Nice one. I did consider doing that myself, but decided I couldn't be ar5ed
Old 2nd May 2011, 07:30 PM

I had nothing better to do yesterday!
Old 3rd May 2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
One successfully 450mm narrowed mx5 seat. Once I'm happy with the recline angle, I'll remove the adjuster and use it as a template to make a 3mm plate bracket instead. Bit baggy on the base but hey it was free! Oh and it weighs only 9.5kg without all the extra brackets and gubbins.

DSC00002 by CTWV50, on Flickr
How did you narrow the seats? got any pics? i'm considering this route as every seat i try i dont find comfy, mothers mx5 seats are very comfy so considering buying some mx5 seats to modify.
Old 4th May 2011, 08:50 PM

Well once you have removed all the brackets and runners and separated the back from the base you need to peel back the seat cover removing lots of little retainers. Now the foam is exposed get hold of your mothers/wifes/girlfriends sharpest serrated knife from the kitchen and start cutting the foam bolsters to size. After that it's a case of getting the seat covers to fit again. I managed to get the misses to sew the back one so it fitted snuggly but for the base I just pulled it as tight as possible and re-fixed it to the base metal using the runners and drilling small holes to reuse some of the retainers in different locations. A good strong pair of needle nose pliers is a must. I'm not worried that it looks a little baggy around the edges of the base as no one will be able to see that once fitted to the car. I didn't take any images but will when I get round to the other seat one afternoon when I'm bored.

Hardest Part?!?

Getting the missus to do a bit of sewing!
Old 4th May 2011, 09:37 PM

I have narrowed some corsa sport seats just need to get around to making some new covers for them, was a lot easier than i thought it was going to be and they were free
Old 4th May 2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Hardest Part?!?

Getting the missus to do a bit of sewing!
Friend of mine narrowed his MX5 seats, then had a shop redo the seat covers. It cost him $500 for the upholstery.

You owe your wife something nice! A fancy dinner perhaps?
Old 5th May 2011, 06:08 PM

Might try this!!! Useful how too!

http://automotive-concepts.blogspot....g-extreme.html

yes the wife deserves a treat, if she does the other one too mind!
Old 13th May 2011, 08:48 PM

Mostly been selling mx5 bits and raised enough to order by wishbones from spud69. As I have been stripping the car I have been untaping the loom and cutting out all the unnecessary wiring for things like interior lights, heater, wipers, stereo etc. I've been watching "Victory by Design" on Discovery for the inspiration for screenless two seater cars!

It's funny when you start stripping a car for a roadster and you just laugh at how much stuff you really don't need to get from A-B and have fun!

Also been looking at aftermarket EMS and turbos oh and wheels, but fortunately have managed to avoid spending any of the, money I don't have, on things I don't need.

So pretty dull all in all but chassis kit, plate kit and wishbones should be here in a couple of weeks!
Old 15th May 2011, 09:58 PM

So again today I started on the P/S of the engine bay stripping back the loom and removing the unnecessary and separating the lighting loom from the engine loom to make reuse simplified.

Battery behind the Drivers seat fuel pump connection in the bckgrd.

Rear lighting loom.

Front Passenger Lighting Loom.

See simplified!

Last edited by CTWV50 : 19th March 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 15th May 2011, 09:59 PM

Err Everything Else!

Err engine diags connector, lighting and horn relays, lighting resistor pack er I think!

After a day stripping back I plugged it all back in and rechecked the engine still worked before finishing for the day. Should be able to keep the immobiliser if it caries on going this well. Next item on the list the under dash fuse-board!

Last edited by CTWV50 : 19th March 2012 at 02:15 PM.