Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th November 2012, 01:09 AM

Default Wanted - welder

I currently have a 130A welder (a Sealey Mightymig) that I was going to use to build my chassis. However, thinking about it, it's probably worth my while getting a more powerful welder, probably a more professional type (even though the Mightymig should be up the task, it'll be running at full chat to do it). According to what I've read, it'll be much easier to get decent welds with a more professional machine anyway.

Anyone have any recommendations for welders for me to look at or know of such a welder that's for sale? Adrian's already sold his Cebora before anyone mentions it I'd love a Portamig, but they're like hen's teeth second hand and I can't afford buying a new one because I won't use it enough...
Old 8th November 2012, 10:40 AM

Porky how much do you have to spend and do you want new or s/h also you need to factor in your power supply. I take it you only have 13A sockets going over to a 16A blue one and correct breaker or fuse is a good idea to save your hair been pulled out
Old 8th November 2012, 10:32 PM

Second hand's fine (my Mightymig is S/H). I have a budget of £150-200, so it'd have to be second hand I guess. Could stretch it a bit more for the right welder. Adrian's Cebora would have fitted the bill nicely, but hey ho.

Although I would prefer to buy away from the likes of eBay/Gumtree if I can, I wouldn't rule them out.

I do only have 13A supplies and it's not feasible to get a 16A supply ATM, although it's something for the future
Old 9th November 2012, 07:43 PM

well if its s/h its going to be what evers floating round localy and no ebay or gumtree means pickings are going to be hard to find
nothing new in the price range but it might be worth looking at a swp 170c or parweld xtm161 (copper transformers) and had good reviews and use euro torch fittings basicly a copy of an old lincon (butters amt used to sell).
everything is going to be of eastern origin in the low end and most branded stuff is also made out there if its less than 5 years old
Old 9th November 2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChop View Post
I currently have a 130A welder (a Sealey Mightymig) that I was going to use to build my chassis. However, thinking about it, it's probably worth my while getting a more powerful welder, probably a more professional type (even though the Mightymig should be up the task, it'll be running at full chat to do it). According to what I've read, it'll be much easier to get decent welds with a more professional machine anyway.

Anyone have any recommendations for welders for me to look at or know of such a welder that's for sale? Adrian's already sold his Cebora before anyone mentions it I'd love a Portamig, but they're like hen's teeth second hand and I can't afford buying a new one because I won't use it enough...
If your quick this one is up for grabs and I can vouch for the guy being sound.
http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/stu...-nu-tool-68318

bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669