Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th May 2010, 07:54 AM

Welcome to the forum David.
I'm also quite local (Durham) and will be building in a single garage. I've bought a chassis and donor parts off a guy who doesn't have time to finish the build so managed to get quite well set up.
I've posted a link on this section last night about someone selling donor parts, the only problem is the distance, I think it was somewhere like essex.
Also, Birch Brothers in Yorkshire will supply a full door vehicle pre-stripped. Can be quite expensive, about £500, but all the works been done for ya.
The final option is to just keep watching ebay. If you look in the car section, car parts, then scroll down the list of manufacturers names until you come to kit cars. That section's full of useful stuff.
Once again, welcome to the forum, and if there's anything I might be able to help with, just gimme a shout.
Alan
p.s.well worth a visit to Saturn Sportscars in Hartlepool, really nice guys, can supply everything roadster related from an engine mount to a full car, and a ride out with big Andy (spud69) in his roadster is a real eye-opener as to what can be achieved on a budget. Just take a spare pair of pants!!
Old 9th May 2010, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

We are going to have some good club meets up here in the norf

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 9th May 2010, 09:04 AM

Mine is being built in a single garage. I stripped the sierra first and stashed most of the bits in the middle of the garage, I built my build table over it. The longer thin stuff (exhaust, prop, steering column etc) stacked up against 1 side wall. The other bits sat at the end of the garage. It's not ideal but quite workable. I will add that I have a seperate workshop where I made the wishbones and uprights etc, they could have been done in the garage though if I didn't have the workshop.
Old 9th May 2010, 10:31 AM

Thanks for all the nice replies. Seems like a nice friendly forum. Can't wait to get started

One question. I know the chasis is made on a board so it's flat, but is there any reason why people do it on a table, and not just a board on the floor??

Cheers.
Old 9th May 2010, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

The board needs to be constructed on straight timber or metal frame. It does not matter if it's on the floor or on legs. But to save you stooping or kneeeling for ages it's easier on legs.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 9th May 2010, 10:53 AM

Personally I would recommend building it on a table instead of a board on the floor, especially in a single garage, you don't realise how much room it takes up, until its in there, and i've got everything stored under my table, including my engine, drive shafts, gearbox, diff, hubs, brake callipers, wheels, i dont think i would be able to find the space for it all if i didnt have the build on the table.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 9th May 2010, 11:47 AM

I don't even have a garage! My donor car is sitting on the driveway to be stripped as and when I need parts. My mum isn't happy with it being there but prefers it to having random car parts stored on the drive . My dad doesn't have a problem with it though lol. All my tools are in the back of my living room.

I'm hoping to move house soon to one with a garage. If not, I shall have to either build outside in the garden (which will limit me dry days only ) or construct some kind of shed.
Old 9th May 2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_17 View Post
Thanks for all the nice replies. Seems like a nice friendly forum. Can't wait to get started

One question. I know the chasis is made on a board so it's flat, but is there any reason why people do it on a table, and not just a board on the floor??

Cheers.
Firstly

A very warm welcome to the forum David

I look forward to following your progress

Can see that you have had plenty of sound advice.

One thing I would say in agreement with Tatey .... Try not to give into temptation & have your buid table on the floor !! You'll regret it once you start.

With the table at a decent working height, tacking up the chassis will be so much easier & without too much stretching, trying to reach cetain places

As Tatey says, you'll be glad of the space under the build table .... I know I was & my workshop is reasonably large .... Unfortunately, brimmed full of stuff ( Mostly junk !! )

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 9th May 2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStanley1809 View Post
I don't even have a garage! My donor car is sitting on the driveway to be stripped as and when I need parts.

I'm hoping to move house soon to one with a garage. If not, I shall have to either build outside in the garden (which will limit me dry days only ) or construct some kind of shed.

You may find that a cheapo B&Q Gazeebo could come in well handy if you are going to have a crack at building outside

You'll not be the first forum member who started their build outdoors

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 9th May 2010, 01:23 PM

Hmmm....I have a gazebo, why didn't I think of that?? That's a brilliant idea, thanks.

I'll have to get some sides for it and find a way to keep it on the ground in the wind. My garden doesn't have grass/soft surface for pegs. It's just gravel on what seems to be concrete - rented houses are awesome