Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th November 2012, 06:31 PM

Default My roadster now

Hello,
Today, I took pictures of my car as it is now, and I would like to share them with you as I don't have a build thread on the forum.
More detailed pictures from today on my blog, here:
http://vouchtroadster.blogspot.com/2...-pictures.html

As Kevin said lately, I need to put some paint on the chassis now... Well the problem is, here in Sweden we have 2 build inspections by SFRO (equivalent of your IVA). For the first one (rolling and steering chassis, engine and gear-box in place) the chassis, even if it can be primed, should not have any ground welds. I don't really want to paint the chassis before I grind all the weld that will need to be.
So I'm just putting everything together to try if it fits (and it does!), then I will removed everything, and sand blast the bare chassis just before the first inspection.
I also need to take the chassis out of the classroom (which has only a normal house door) where it has been built, and put it in the garage now to reassemble everything and put engine and gear box in.

IMG_0018.JPG
IMG_0019.JPG

I also would like to have your opinion about the way I attached the fuel tank. It is 1mm steel strips, folded over itself where the bolts are (so 2mm there), 2mm rubber paddings 4xM8 bolts to attach the strips on the chassis, 2xM8 long bolts on top of the tank to link the strips together and tighten them. It also have rubber paddings underneath the tank.

IMG_0035.JPG

Thank you!
Old 16th November 2012, 06:37 PM

Very nice progress there Sylvain ....am lovin the classroom I think it is well cool... you have overtook me now....will have to get my finger out.
Old 16th November 2012, 08:11 PM

Sylvain the car looks brilliant I have to say, I'm interested to see how the stainless brake lines look against a painted chassis.

The fuel tank mounting looks good, it looks like it was easier to fabricate than mine which had to be made so they were a bit shorter than the height of the tank to allow them to clamp the tank down which took a while to get right, especially with 3mm aluminium flat which was harder to bend to 90 degrees without splitting the material by using too small of a bend radius.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 16th November 2012, 08:39 PM

Looking good will be getting in touch after christmas to order my brake and fuel lines

Just to point out someone has put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car better get that fixed quick lol
Old 16th November 2012, 09:35 PM

Looking good
Old 16th November 2012, 09:54 PM

And so the halfwit spammers start again
Old 17th November 2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
you have overtook me now....will have to get my finger out.
I don't think so Kev', I think you are still way ahead of me. You haven't seen the engine and gear box I plan to put in the roadster : they will need a lot of care and cleaning (I think I need to get myself a Dremel )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatey View Post
Sylvain the car looks brilliant I have to say, I'm interested to see how the stainless brake lines look against a painted chassis.

The fuel tank mounting looks good, it looks like it was easier to fabricate than mine which had to be made so they were a bit shorter than the height of the tank to allow them to clamp the tank down which took a while to get right, especially with 3mm aluminium flat which was harder to bend to 90 degrees without splitting the material by using too small of a bend radius.
Thank you Simon. I'm also curious to see how the the natural stainless steel brake lines will look on a black chassis. So I'll have silver callipers, drums and brake lines, all the rest will be black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmax1974 View Post
Looking good will be getting in touch after christmas to order my brake and fuel lines

Just to point out someone has put the steering wheel on the wrong side of the car better get that fixed quick lol
Dave ! Wrong side of the car, Right side of the road !
Anytime for your brake lines, just send me an pm, I'll be glad also to help you to plan for the set-up if you want.
Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_of_Seven View Post
Looking good
Thank you very much. I'm so impatient to put it on wheels now!
Old 17th November 2012, 06:45 PM

Build looks really good.

Every classroom should have a box of Staropramen!
Old 17th November 2012, 07:20 PM

Thats coming on really nicely Sylvian.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669