Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th May 2010, 10:23 PM
Urmyworld

Hello all,

I look forward to hearing the name of your new club, along with it's URL.

David
Old 19th May 2010, 11:28 PM

urmyworld - while you may think you are helping please let the committee get on and do its job.

Having been on this forum for over 18 months now (since I first considered building the car) I have to say that it is the most pleasant helpful and friendly forum I have ever been on. The reason people are so angry about your interference is because of the passion and comradeship they have built up on this forum. I have made a number of friends on here and the generosity and banter is fantastic. It feels like I am chatting with old friends when I come on here - no question is too stupid and everyone helps each other out unconditionally.

You seem to have appeared from nowhere and bulldozed your way in, thinking you are helping. If you believe you can help then please contact one of the committee members. There is no hierarchy on the this forum - this forum exists in such a brilliant way because of the mutual respect we all have to each other - from teenagers to OAPs, engineers to accountants all helping each other out. Please don't think that you will get away with railroading your way into a position of power on this forum - the committee members are all in place because they are trusted, respected members of the roadster community. I am 100% behind the club and will do anything I can to assist the committee if they require any assistance.

Now please let the guys get on and sort the club out - I'm sure official announcements will follow in due course.
Old 20th May 2010, 10:18 AM

Having only just read through the recent posts on this thread, I'm also a little taken aback by the counter-productive efforts.... but that's neither here nor there in the bigger picture of starting a club.

I'd just like to cheekily enquire about some features I've thought need centralisation. The honest fact is we need a forum with more sections. We need a place for our build diaries, FAQs and tips and tricks to assist the new guys asking about revisions and IVA modifications. A proper photo gallery would be a god send, so people can not only put there build photos on, but look through and see how other people have done it.

I would have thought a massive benefit of a club, is to pass on knowledge from a build. Sadly the free forum offered by Haynes, I feel, has been out grown. Its great, but lacks features and management (as highlighted by the earlier posts).
Old 20th May 2010, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

All the other functions can be part of the website, personaly I don't like forums with tooo many categories it just gets dis-jointed.

Having used/run/moderated/admined car forums for 10+ years I think this one works quite well as it stands.

The only issue is the moderation. Not that it generaly needs much.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 20th May 2010, 10:59 AM
Urmyworld

Hello all,

The intention of my post referring to the use of the Haynes name within a domain name was to bring this to the attention of all 1688 members of this forum, and was not aimed at just the club.

For example, if my name was David Haynes, and I was going to set up a gardening website, I do not think that I would require permission from Haynes to use the domain name DavidHaynesGardens.com as this would be obvious that I am David Haynes and my website is about gardens.

As opposed to someone creating a website about the Haynes Roadster that they have built and using the domain name "mywonderfulhaynesroadster.com" this would be going against Haynes policy and could land the person in trouble.

I hope this further explains the reason for my post, I was only raising awareness of this issue to the forum members and not having a go at the club.

David
Old 20th May 2010, 12:12 PM

Twin Turbo, yes your right, those additional features could be part of the website as a whole, but rather than trying to write a bespoke website to integrate those features as separate elements, I imagine it would be easier to use existing features on solid forum software. Another attack on the forums or club would be a disaster and I can see the requirement for some robust software.

Plus I think that any and all facilities of the club should be independent of any persons (so far as reasonably practicable). If someone falls out, leaves, becomes ill etc, then we could end up loosing these resources.

Also the idea of an "elected" committee is a little grand for a vote by 0.5% of the members of forum. I think its great that people are volunteering their free time to organise such a resource for builders/owners etc, I just think that if I'm going to pay a subscription/membership then these committee members could be properly voted upon by clubs members, after the club has been established for X months.
Old 20th May 2010, 01:02 PM

Unhappy The view from here

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post

Also the idea of an "elected" committee is a little grand for a vote by 0.5% of the members of forum. I think its great that people are volunteering their free time to organise such a resource for builders/owners etc, I just think that if I'm going to pay a subscription/membership then these committee members could be properly voted upon by clubs members, after the club has been established for X months.
Just a few points to make if I may !!

To date, this forum has 1,688 members only 279 choose to be an active part of the forum

So to correct the .5% statement .... Less than 20% of the forum members are active & in order to express any personal preference " You need to be active " !!

It is a sad fact of life that in order to set up any form of club, an interim committee will need to be in place before inception .
This is vital to give the club a solid starting foundation.

Many forum members have welcomed the formation of some form of Builders Club .... Action was taken at Stoneleigh to ensure the dream becomes a reality, otherwise it would remain " Nothing more than a pipe dream "

It was decided at Stoneleigh that 30 days should be allowed to pass, in order for all forum members not attending the show, have a fair chance to air their views .

I am sure that all of the interim committee members would welcome the input of all forum members.

It is only right that once the club is up and running, votes can be taken in order to have a committee that has the full backing of the club membership.

Anyone who objects to any of the clubs interim committee members should say so.

So come on folks .... Air your views & say what you mean .... We need input to get the club off the ground

www.roadster-builders.co.uk

Last edited by Bonzo : 20th May 2010 at 01:36 PM.
Old 20th May 2010, 04:44 PM

The point I was making (albeit very poorly) was that, myself, not following this particular thread, had to go through 100+ posts, 13 pages in, to find the declaration of the club and its committee.

I thoroughly support a proper owners club and hope to take full advantage of it. However there was no post in the "Announcements section" to bring this 30 day deadline to anyone's attention, otherwise the idea of community involvement is a little defunct, if your not bringing it to the attention of the community.

All I'm saying is that you need to separate out the chit chat from important announcements.
Old 20th May 2010, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezee View Post
The point I was making (albeit very poorly) was that, myself, not following this particular thread, had to go through 100+ posts, 13 pages in, to find the declaration of the club and its committee.

I thoroughly support a proper owners club and hope to take full advantage of it. However there was no post in the "Announcements section" to bring this 30 day deadline to anyone's attention, otherwise the idea of community involvement is a little defunct, if your not bringing it to the attention of the community.

All I'm saying is that you need to separate out the chit chat from important announcements.
That is a fair point Deezee, I must take responsibility for the information of the voted in committee being kept on this thread, in hindsight it may have been better to post that information under a new thread on the announcements section, apologies for this , but my thinking was to try and keep it all in the same thread.
A fair a constructive point Deezee

cheers
andy
Old 20th May 2010, 06:35 PM

Handy,

Rather than a whole new thread, why not an announcement post pointing to the first post about the club?

One of the only problems with this forum is that we do not have any admin rights in order to post announcements then close the thread to to stop additional post and also that we cannot make sticky threads of important information.