Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th April 2015, 11:56 AM

"Dear Sir or Madam,

I am making an application to the DVLA regarding the registration of a kit car type vehicle I have built and they have sent me the attached letter asking me to contact your department. I spoke to your advise line and was advised that this had happened before and that it didn’t make much sense as I can only really contact your department by filling in a NOVA application which isn’t applicable to the vehicle I am registering. Even though DVLA Kits and Rebuilds Department agree that this process doesn’t make much sense and it is clear to them that the car hasn’t been imported, they have said that I need to fill in the form as best I can, which is impossible, and have your government department send me a letter in response to this letter and unfilled application stating the vehicle chassis number doesn’t appear on your database (and why would it, they gave me the chassis number and it’s a new one at that) and indeed hasn’t been imported and that filling in the form or making an application for the import of the vehicle is not applicable and unnecessary even though this fact is quite clear to them anyway. Go figure. So could you please place this application form in the bin and be so kind as to send me a letter stating the above so that I can then send it to DVLA Kits and Rebuilds Department and then they can tick a box and we can all move on with our lives.
The chassis no of the vehicle is SABTVR

Sincerely,"
Old 9th April 2015, 12:13 PM

Chris ...I would advise against sending a letter with any cynical remarks, it will only put their backs up and possibly scupper your chances of getting sorted out sooner rather than later ....try getting in touch with Donna Kennet as she came across as knowing what the score was, persevere but in a nice manner and let fly on here mate.
Old 9th April 2015, 12:15 PM

oops sorry.. bud just seen other post
Old 9th April 2015, 12:51 PM

Thanks Kev, Don't worry I'm just letting off steam. I won't be sending the letter in that format. I'll let you know how I get on with this anyway.
Old 9th April 2015, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
Chris ...I would advise against sending a letter with any cynical remarks, it will only put their backs up and possibly scupper your chances of getting sorted out sooner rather than later ....try getting in touch with Donna Kennet as she came across as knowing what the score was, persevere but in a nice manner and let fly on here mate.

I agree with Kev on this one but you have got me worried about my application. I hope it gets resolved quickly for you
Old 9th April 2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianr View Post
I agree with Kev on this one but you have got me worried about my application. I hope it gets resolved quickly for you
Don't worry hopefully things will be clearer once I've got through this nonsense.
Old 9th April 2015, 02:13 PM

They keep saying fill in the form as best you can. Well that's interesting, the NOVA Form Notification Of Vehicle Arrival. Which part do I fill in and sign?

http://www.lambretta.co.uk/downloads/nova-form.pdf

Take a look.....

"Vehicle notification system for vehicles
brought into the UK from abroad
Use this form if you are bringing a land vehicle into the UK
for permanent use. "

"Part 1 Notifier details
Only complete this section if you are notifying on behalf of the purchaser of the vehicle"

"Part 2 Supplier details
Complete this section if you (or the purchaser) are making a purchase from within the EU. See Note 4 for a list of
countries that are within the EU."

"Part 3 Vehicle type and specification
Complete this section if you (or the purchaser) purchased the vehicle inside or outside of the EU."

"Part 4 Leasing arrangements by VAT registered businesses
Complete this part of the form if the vehicle is leased from an EU supplier by a UK VAT registered business."

"Part 5 Additional vehicle questions for EU purchases
Complete this section if the vehicle was purchased in the EU. If the vehicle was purchased outside the EU go to Part 7.
If you answered ‘No’ to the question in Part 4, you do not need to answer questions 33 to 40."

"Part 6 Specific vehicle questions for VAT registered businesses
Answer both of the following questions if the vehicle was purchased from an EU supplier by a UK VAT registered
business. "

"Part 7 Additional vehicle questions for purchases outside the EU
Complete this section if you (or the purchaser) are making a purchase from outside the EU. See Note 11.
To prevent possible delays in dealing with your notification, please check that you have used the correct commodity
code and import entry details for the vehicle."

Discussion here too

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/view...e=1#pid1657345
Old 9th April 2015, 02:16 PM

I spoke to one lady to ask which vehicle vin number I was to enquire about the main donor, or the car I had built. She couldn't even answer me clearly on that.... pffft!
Old 9th April 2015, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
They keep saying fill in the form as best you can. Well that's interesting, the NOVA Form Notification Of Vehicle Arrival. Which part do I fill in and sign?

http://www.lambretta.co.uk/downloads/nova-form.pdf

Take a look.....

"Vehicle notification system for vehicles
brought into the UK from abroad
Use this form if you are bringing a land vehicle into the UK
for permanent use. "

"Part 1 Notifier details
Only complete this section if you are notifying on behalf of the purchaser of the vehicle"

"Part 2 Supplier details
Complete this section if you (or the purchaser) are making a purchase from within the EU. See Note 4 for a list of
countries that are within the EU."

"Part 3 Vehicle type and specification
Complete this section if you (or the purchaser) purchased the vehicle inside or outside of the EU."

"Part 4 Leasing arrangements by VAT registered businesses
Complete this part of the form if the vehicle is leased from an EU supplier by a UK VAT registered business."

"Part 5 Additional vehicle questions for EU purchases
Complete this section if the vehicle was purchased in the EU. If the vehicle was purchased outside the EU go to Part 7.
If you answered ‘No’ to the question in Part 4, you do not need to answer questions 33 to 40."

"Part 6 Specific vehicle questions for VAT registered businesses
Answer both of the following questions if the vehicle was purchased from an EU supplier by a UK VAT registered
business. "

"Part 7 Additional vehicle questions for purchases outside the EU
Complete this section if you (or the purchaser) are making a purchase from outside the EU. See Note 11.
To prevent possible delays in dealing with your notification, please check that you have used the correct commodity
code and import entry details for the vehicle."

Discussion here too

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/view...e=1#pid1657345
As far as I can see
1. no
2. yes
3. yes
4. no
5. yes
6. no
7. no
I wish it were that simple.... I now have doubts on a possible future build No 2
Old 9th April 2015, 04:28 PM

Even though the DVLA know that a search on the chassis number that they gave me will return nothing by HMRC they want me to write to HMRC and ask them for a letter confirming this. Wow bureaucracy gone mad. I tied the manager up in knots with my arguement that there was quite clearly large amounts of evidence to suggest that there was no chance this car was imported and that HMRC would have no data or oustanding duty on the chassis number that the DVLA gave me. But she said "In this case we need a letter from HMRC."