Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th January 2010, 04:43 PM

Default GRP arches and nose?

Just a quick question to any body who has made their own nose cones and wheel arches in GRP. How much of a pain is it to make the plugs and moulds? I like to think that I have a fair eye for equal and even, I did industrial model making at collage so have a fair idea of how to go about it. Is it worth the the out lay for the materials, bearing in mind that I could sell a more complete kit if I had decent enough moulds?

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 30th January 2010, 04:55 PM

From visiting the 2 Andy's down at SSC, the moulds look quite complex to make and the cost of the gel coat, fibre glass matting and resin to me means that making my own would be too much of a cost factor, especially if you mess up some of the parts.

However if you are looking to make some to then sell on then maybe it would be worth your while?

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 30th January 2010, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Depends how much spare time you have left over after concentration on your other fabrications and how much spare space you have.

It's going to take some time to make good bucks.

But I would say give it a go, just amke it a little different so there is some veriety.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 31st January 2010, 12:38 PM

Been watching a few vids on youtube (no not those vids) about mould making and gel coat etc. Gel coat thats sprayed on what do you use to clean the gun out with so it does'nt become one lump?

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 31st January 2010, 01:11 PM

Hi Rob,

To make the plugs and moulds its a massive amount of man hours, to date on the single seater for 2 moulds, although very complex i have spent about 250 hours to date. Material costs aren't too bad though. For the personal satisfaction of making all your own build parts some people would find it worthwhile.

For the gel coat i wouldn't really worry about spray coat as brush on gel is probably better for the intricate moulds for the roadster.

All the Best....AndrewH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 31st January 2010, 02:54 PM
fabbyglass

Books and videos make anything seem easy to do, but in reality it's a lot of hard graft. Spraying gel coat is wicked if you are after mad affects but to coat moulds I wouldn't bother as you have to be quick as all the time you are spraying the gel is going off in the gun, to clean it you need acetone and take the gun apart quick smart or risk a gun full of cured gel coat.

Destroys shoulders by the way, all that rubbing down of filler...
Old 31st January 2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud69 View Post
To make the plugs and moulds its a massive amount of man hours, to date on the single seater for 2 moulds, although very complex i have spent about 250 hours to date. Material costs aren't too bad though. For the personal satisfaction of making all your own build parts some people would find it worthwhile.
So, Andy, would you recommend a single mold route with filler ant paint for a DIY one-off? I was entertaining thoughts of doing the proper two mold nosecone and scuttle, making it for myself and then maybe for some lads locally, but it is so much hassle, perhaps a one-mold process is more rational.
Old 31st January 2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post
Books and videos make anything seem easy to do, but in reality it's a lot of hard graft. Spraying gel coat is wicked if you are after mad affects but to coat moulds I wouldn't bother as you have to be quick as all the time you are spraying the gel is going off in the gun, to clean it you need acetone and take the gun apart quick smart or risk a gun full of cured gel coat.

Only if your old and knackered from falling off motorbikes .......lol
Old 1st February 2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabbyglass View Post

It certainly does Mark, all the rubbing down that's been done recently i've now got no fingerprints and arms like Popeye....

Alga, all the molds for the Roadster can be made in one piece with filler, paint, lacquer and lots of wet and dry being suitable plus many hours.

We do have shipping costs to Lithuania as an alternative could also offer some discount depending on Gel colour as colour prices vary drastically depending on choice.

Regards...AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 1st February 2010, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator

One question Spud,

When the time comes for bodywork, I want a two colour scheme. Nose bonnet and arces different to the tub, scuttle, rear. Is that likly to affect the cost?

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders