Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd August 2013, 08:49 PM

Nice work Stot...
Me thinks you have too much time on your hands to keep coming up with so many new ideas...
Love your work just keep em coming buddy...

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/JohnoSS1/

Johno
Old 7th August 2013, 07:08 AM

I'm fitting my flexi lines at the moment, I ordered them from Sylvain but I measured my rears wrong.

2 choices. Buy new rear lines or reposition the bracket and make new hard lines. One is free if you have extra copper line and the other isn't so this is what I ended up with.

Only problem is that I am going directly into the caliper with a fixed fitting rather than using a banjo and when the line is compressed it gets closer to the seat back. I angled the bulkhead bracket toward the rear slightly to help it want to bend away from the seat back.

The rear caliper on the MX5 doesn't have a 'seat' at the bottom of the inlet so the only a fixed fitting or banjo will work as they can seal with copper washers, an angled swivel wont.

It doesn't touch so It should be fine but it may settle in so Ill have to keep an eye on it.

None of this is Sylvains fault, I measured wrong in the first place. The lines are great and are as good as any quality UK made, crimped lines.

Front is great though.

Cheers
Stot

Last edited by Stot : 7th August 2013 at 07:10 AM.
Old 8th August 2013, 10:34 PM

Your car is coming along there really nicely. I had to re order my rear flexi hoses as well this week as they were too short! I used russ from furore. Ordered them at 3 pm and they were delivered by the postie the next day.

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.
Old 9th August 2013, 09:42 PM

I'm really sorry for the bad planning on the rear lines. They look to fit OK now, but if I can do anything, do not hesitate to send me a PM.

BTW, your car looks stunning, and the last things you did with the wheel caps, whaow, I just love it
Old 10th August 2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voucht View Post
I'm really sorry for the bad planning on the rear lines. They look to fit OK now, but if I can do anything, do not hesitate to send me a PM.

BTW, your car looks stunning, and the last things you did with the wheel caps, whaow, I just love it
It wasn't your fault Sylvain, I measured wrong.

I would say that banjos at the back with a 90 degree on them would probably be best for any you do with MX5 calipers in the future though to avoid the possible issue of them rubbing on the seat back.

Thanks for the comments on the car, I'm trying to make the little things make the biggest difference to the build.

Cheers
Stot
Old 10th August 2013, 10:15 AM

Thank you Stots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stot View Post
I would say that banjos at the back with a 90 degree on them would probably be best for any you do with MX5 callipers in the future though to avoid the possible issue of them rubbing on the seat back.
I totally agree with you on that point when I see the picture of your rear brake lines. I was not expecting the callipers to be front mounted (but rather top or rear mounted) and that close to the back seat assembly.

I usually say (as banjos are more expensive, involve more parts, and are a pain to bleed) that "banjos should be avoided except when there is not enough room to fit tubular fittings". It actually looks like with this set-up, we are very close to this exception where banjos are needed.

A 90° banjo will give the same angle as a straight tubular fitting, but a 45° or even a 60° banjo should do the job.

MX5BrakeLinesBanjo45° par Voucht71, sur Flickr

Hopefully your experience will serve future builders

Thanks.
Old 10th August 2013, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator

Can't the hubs be swapped left to right to put the calipers at the back?

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 10th August 2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
Can't the hubs be swapped left to right to put the calipers at the back?

TT
This was an Idea I looked at but top bones would need to be redesigned as the upper and lower mounts on the uprights are offset, not centrally aligned.

(calipers are on the wrong uprights in that pic.)

You would need to change the position of the upper shock mount too. I already had the chassis and bones fully welded at that point so carried on as normal.

Flipping them would help with the handbrake cable rubbing issue too and If I were building again I probably would try that option. I'm happy that my current configuration is acceptable if not the ideal.

Cheers
Stot

Last edited by Stot : 10th August 2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10th August 2013, 05:00 PM

Stot,

You are a true inspiration to us all. I watch your build thread with interest, and has given me a few ideas, and inspiration.

keep up the great work.