Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th August 2010, 09:07 AM

Thumbs up Windscreen frame

Hi
That looks cool, I have got my railings for the above from GBS, but how do I bend it without causing any distortation or shrink marks to the right angles.
Old 11th August 2010, 08:36 PM

Default windscreen help ?

hi from what i understand is you must use the template of you windscreen tha you have made of ply wood or mdf or chip board and use that tool that they show you how to make in the book to bend it but you must heat it up with a blow torch then use that tool and bend it on your template but must do it in one movement so that it comes out smooth with no kinks or anything i hope this info helps you . i also just wanted to know what size is the rail that you use for the windscreen frame ? the other thing i wanted to know is there is this black strip between the windscreen frame and the scuttle i would like to know what yhat is and what is it called and what it is for i have uploaded a picture with a green arrow pointing at what im talking abuot can someone please help me with this info thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 040420091545452.JPG (73.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 12th August 2010, 08:30 AM

Red face

I am really in the same boat as yourself, I was really hoping Snapper would have replied to all these questions, let us hope he will!!!!!!!!!!!

In the meanwhile I tell what I can; you can buy the railing from GBS as Snapper said previously the bottom rubber in the picture is not like the ones the supply.

I apprreciatte your help according with the book, but after talking to a few other enthausisat it does not make sense. heating the alloy and putting it over the wooden template and try and bending it using the tool ,by the time trying to do all this the heat out of the alloy will be lost ,also the heat can burn the plywood pattern in no time!

Hope someone else can clear these for all of us!!!!!!!!
Old 12th August 2010, 09:41 AM

The Ally rail can be bent cold, try first with scrap Ally to get a feel for how it bends.
I can't give any more help from here as I only have my iPhone and memory to work with. I will not have access to photos, diagrams or DVD's for a week or so.
If you cut a template out of cardboard which fits both the top curves and the bottom rail profile across the scuttle, then transfer that to a plywood buck.
Perhaps a pipe bender would help you with the bottom profile
Old 12th August 2010, 09:55 AM

Cheers , The thought of using pipe bender had occured to me. I shall try that, but was this your method?
Old 12th August 2010, 01:43 PM

Red face windscreen help

hi im having a bit of a issue understanding everything about this windscreen cause im all the way in south africa and our stores are not the same so thats why im trying to understand everything and get names for everything so that i can go looking for this stuff and here and is gbs the name of the store or is it the rubber strips and that picture i posted is pointing at some black strip the goes right across between the frame and scuttle .thanks sorry for all the questions im just really confused here
Old 12th August 2010, 02:23 PM

Hi
Yes it does sound confusing, GBS are the manufacturer of Robin hood cars. They do the alloy frame for this type of screen and the similar rubber you are looking for try them on www.kitpartsdirect.com .

I hope this has been of some help otherwise get back to me again!
Old 12th August 2010, 07:53 PM

Question windscreen help

hi axle i just went on that web site and i saw that T shaped rubber strip so im guessing that goes between the scuttle and the windscreen frame now tell me which side must the T part face must it face in towards the steering wheel or the bonnet
Old 13th August 2010, 08:24 AM

Default Rubber flap to the inside

Hi
Glad to know you got some result! The answer to your last question I suppose you want the rubber to the inside as the curve of the alloy makes more contact between the body and the frame and therefore it makes a better seal. I know the previous pic you send me was to the outside.

Anyway this is the way I would do it, others might have have a different idea I would be delighted to know!

Last edited by axle : 13th August 2010 at 09:01 AM.