Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th April 2011, 10:54 PM

Cool Great stuff

That is looking so funky Kev

Green with envy mate .... How can I compete with that !!

Ohh I know, I'll pop down to Cornish Goldsmiths & have mine plated in 24 ct Gold

Going to look fab when they are on your build, that's for sure

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 8th April 2011, 12:09 PM

Have only just noticed the clear lacquer "runs" in the photo's.......not having any of that ...will have to wet & dry those back, I know they are not very noticeable , trouble is I know they are there, which is enough for me to want to "fix it". note : must improve my rattle can technique
Old 8th April 2011, 12:23 PM

How did you manage to get the 10 degree bend in the wishbone plate? Its really hard to see the bend line, is it rolled?
Old 8th April 2011, 12:38 PM

hi dz, they were 3ge plates so the 10 degree bend is there just not very noticeable.....its probably just the way I finished the ends of the tubes, the built up weld kind of extends past the point of the bend line
Old 19th April 2011, 02:25 PM

Yo peeps....just a wee update....finally can say my Wishbones are complete and will be put to one side now while I try to get back to fitting some cp components to the chassis and try to head towards the fully welding stage.
here are the finished items

Old 19th April 2011, 03:26 PM

Those are stunning! Amazing work. Sooooo the big question is are you going to do the same kind of thing with the chassis? heh

Skyline Roadster
Old 19th April 2011, 04:02 PM

Not quite ......however I do have a few ideas in general that will probably raise a few eyebrows tacky things like a clear cover for the cam sprocket cover along with a nice set of red verniers..... I do believe there was one on driftworks that would have fitted your RB I'll have to make mine as I don't think they did the CA18DET I do have a very interesting side pipe dating from the seventies and the exhaust will be unusual as well
Old 19th April 2011, 04:17 PM

Cool i know the ones.

Nice to see another Driftworks guy here. Been on that forum for ages now think i first started posting in 2006 lol then did a username change as my car changed.

Skyline Roadster
Old 10th May 2011, 02:45 PM

Reached an important milestone yesterday.....after fully welding everything that was weldable while the chassis was clamped to the table. The big moment came ......releasing the clamps....would it twang, bong, jump, jiggle .......big fat NOWT.....not a bluddy thing....bit of an anti climax....but a nice one, so I now have a nice straight chassis just a few cp plates to go yet and welding up the suspension brackets ....nearly forgot Handy.....I still have not done the air steering yet.....will sort it out just for you mate
Old 15th July 2011, 03:16 AM

Been a bit of a go slow lately.....this time of year I have to dabble with my other passion....my garden, but just recently I decided it was time to start getting some of the refurb work done, so I started with the hubs (easiest thing to get off the sierra first.
So we start with this

Having checked for ANY play in the bearings both on and off the car, I concluded that the bearings were fine and would leave alone, so the dust cap stayed in place until the de-rust was complete. I had bought some washing soda to do the electrolysis doofa .....but on having a good inspection of the hubs the rust was in its first stages of flaking so I decided to go at it with a hammer and old screwdriver and it came off very easily....about an hour saw the heavy stuff, off now out came the 3 dremels with different grindstones in them to get in all the nooks and crannies, another hour later and it looks something like this

Prising the dust cap off the insides look as new as the first day they were made, the dust caps were totally fubard so I made my own replacements (see thread in another article for that)