Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th December 2013, 11:42 AM

Maybe you are right, but there is about 5-10mm space between fan and radiator core... so this isn't completly dead area...
Radiator is much bigger than oem kawasaki, so it should be OK. There is always possibility for change in the future either

ZX9R BEC Haynes Roadster - build cost so far: £1125
My build thread

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." J.W.Goethe
Old 6th December 2013, 12:12 PM

My car has adequate braking power with Sierra's ventilated 240 mm disks. The brakes didn't begin to fade even on a track. Even Caterham CSR has 10" disks. I suspect anything above that is just extra weight, don't overdo it!
Old 6th December 2013, 01:56 PM

I hope that with 278mm discs I'll get good F/R brake balance (I have all-disc setup). I didn't have whole Sierra, so... I bought them long time ago. I'll use them and see how it works...

My build thread

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." J.W.Goethe
Old 6th December 2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidimurray View Post
I'm a bit late to the party on this, but just a thought on radiators and fans. The big area in the middle of the fan(where the motor is) acts as a dead area that cool air cannot pass through. So your fan is only drawing air through the area of the 'donut' where the blades spin around. It is common to see fans mounted set back from the rad with a shroud from the rad to the fan to ensure all the air is drawn through the rad and the full surface area is used. On my car I used a Clio rad with a 10" fan mounted 4" behind the rad and a little folded up aluminium shroud to support the fan/duct air.
Hi,

Sorry David, I don't agree with that.

What you say is true if the fan is mounted in front of the radiator. In that case, yes, the motor area completely obstructs the airflow (as well as the, rim, spokes, etc. do).

But when the fan is fitted behind the radiator, the air passes through the core anyway, even on the the motor area (it is not like 100% of the airflow is obstructed but the motor : there are air turbulences there too in this configuration).

If you make the balance between this very small obstruction on the motor area and the loss of efficiency of the fan if it does not touch the core, it is still much more interesting to have the fan sticking as close as possible to the core.

If the fan runs, it means that the engines needs cooling as soon as possible, and it has to be immediately and completely efficient. It will not be if it is not touching the core, because it will be sucking more air coming from between the fan and the radiator than through the radiator (air, like all fluids, always takes the easiest way )

You say it is common to see fans mounted set back from the rad, but I've never seen electric fans mounted 4'' from the radiator, and it sounds way too much to me. Perhaps the "shroud" you are talking about is a kind of air-duct (I didn'd really understand this), in which case it might be OK, but I'm very sceptical about the fan's efficiency if mounted that far from the radiator without no well-sealed ducting.

No bad feelings or nothing personal about that David, it is always hard for me to put the necessary nuances in this language which is not my mother tongue, and I hope I am not sounding offending or anything like that. It is just a different opinion (and only my humble opinion) and nothing more
Old 6th December 2013, 08:17 PM

That's why I was talking about 5-10mm spacing between radiator core and fan - airflow (air under pressure) will find it's way between fan and core...

Quote:
On my car I used a Clio rad with a 10" fan mounted 4" behind the rad and a little folded up aluminium shroud to support the fan/duct air.
I think David was talking about air-duct from radiator to fan... so this can work quite well... but as all aftermarket fans are mounted "on the core" - can't be that bad

My build thread

Last edited by loony : 6th December 2013 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10th December 2013, 04:52 PM

OK - as I have uprights and hubs painted in red primer (in my basement ) I need to decide - should I painted them in black or leave them in primer as this is better than nothing.
But as my car will be black/"kawasaki" green - I think I need to paint them to avoid "harlequin look"...

Sorry for photos quality - my smartphone isn't so smart and have problems when it's dark Color is more red than orange...

My build thread

Old 10th December 2013, 06:03 PM

And if you feel a bit hungry

Jam sandwich or cheese and pickle
Old 10th December 2013, 07:39 PM

They have been tangoed

Arfon
Old 11th December 2013, 08:12 AM

I knew that I get good answer

To make your sandwiches easier - the newest jams are from year 2000, oldest 1996 (and still good and healthy). Can't remember pickles, but can't be newer than 2000 as my parents leave Poland in that year There are some homemade wines as well, so can be happy place.

Back to the roadster - basement is the only place where I can paint and my "second half" don't become mad But during the day I will paint at home, especially that painting with black paint in bad light is really hard.

So - what paint should I use ? Ideally same that I can use for chassis... as I think I will use my red-oxide primer and then some black paint.
Should I use something like Hammerite etc... or find different "epoxy" paint ?

My build thread

Old 11th December 2013, 01:10 PM

As I didn't want to waste time.. I painted uprights and hubs with black hammerite - as I have it at home
Now - they need to dry quickly or I get no dinner today

My build thread