Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th July 2011, 05:25 PM

Default Engine Placement

After getting my gearbox connected back up to my engine properly today I had a go at trying to get the engine into the roadster and the positioning right. Not an easy thing thats for sure! With my engine being a CVH CFi, I've got alot of bits on my inlet manifold that are fouling the top diagonal chassis rail and not sure what to do about it. Should I cut the rail out and relocate it slightly or do something like position the engine a little off center? Here's some pictures though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0152A.jpg (89.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0153A.jpg (92.7 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0155A.jpg (77.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0156A.jpg (81.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0157A.jpg (75.1 KB, 47 views)
Old 16th July 2011, 05:26 PM

more photos..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0158A.jpg (85.9 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0159A.jpg (81.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0160A.jpg (78.0 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0161A.jpg (82.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0162A.jpg (82.0 KB, 33 views)
Old 16th July 2011, 05:27 PM

and more photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG0163A.jpg (88.0 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0164A.jpg (95.3 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG0165A.jpg (95.3 KB, 38 views)
Old 16th July 2011, 08:09 PM

If your future plans are zetec junk all the excess and run it on bike carbs/ megajolt! it will make more power and you wont have any clearance issues or even bike carbs and megasquirt if you want throttle bodies in future, it could still run the carbs in the meantime

Then come engine swap time you wont have to start chopping the loom up

My first engine was a cvh and i made a down pipe that fitted the original cast manifold with some bends i got from ebay, another popular thing to do is use an rs turbo manifold as they are quite slimline with a conveniently positioned outlet

If this engine is in for good you will just have to re route anything you can and position the engine in the most convinient position

The engine bay diagonal can be removed and replaced in a more suitable position to suit your needs, i have two smaller ones triangulating the same area area where the book spec one is
Old 17th July 2011, 08:55 AM

This is an interesting idea mark. So what's the difference between megajolt and megasquirt? Can't say know a lot about these so what do throttle bodies do??

If I go down this route do I need to get a new inlet manifold or do I just chop up the existing one somehow? When you talk about making a downpipe for your original cvh, i'm guessing you're on about changing the inlet manifold somehow and not the exhaust manifold? Can you post some pictures?

I'm hoping to use this engine for awhile just to get some it through iva and on the road. I'd then like to change to something else but haven't really decided. Tempted by a v8, zetec, or maybe combining the bottom end of a 2L zetec with the top end of my 1.8 cvh to make a zvh with high compression?

I'm thinking cutting the rail and shortening it then moving it towards the outside of the chassis to make the engine bay a bit bigger as I only need a couple of inches at most really.

Again if anyone can suggest or explain the above a bit better for a nub like me it'd be greatly appreciated!
Old 17th July 2011, 11:08 AM

I'm using the same engine as you, and did exactly what mark says. Bin the CFI and put bike carbs and megajolt. It will make a lot more power as the injection is really restrictive. Engine is the same as old xr2 xr3 etc.quite a bit different to the 1.8 cvh.

Have a look in my photobucket and you will see what I did. It will make the conversion to a zetec a lot easier later on. Any question just ask or pm, and I'll do my best to help.

OTR 01/05/14 - 1.6 CVH, Type 9, Bike Carbs, Megajolt
Old 17th July 2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbug007 View Post
This is an interesting idea mark. So what's the difference between megajolt and megasquirt? Can't say know a lot about these so what do throttle bodies do??

If I go down this route do I need to get a new inlet manifold or do I just chop up the existing one somehow? When you talk about making a downpipe for your original cvh, i'm guessing you're on about changing the inlet manifold somehow and not the exhaust manifold? Can you post some pictures?

I'm hoping to use this engine for awhile just to get some it through iva and on the road. I'd then like to change to something else but haven't really decided. Tempted by a v8, zetec, or maybe combining the bottom end of a 2L zetec with the top end of my 1.8 cvh to make a zvh with high compression?

I'm thinking cutting the rail and shortening it then moving it towards the outside of the chassis to make the engine bay a bit bigger as I only need a couple of inches at most really.

Again if anyone can suggest or explain the above a bit better for a nub like me it'd be greatly appreciated!
megajolt can only run a engines ign system using a 36-1 trigger wheel and a edis unit with wasted spark coils

megasquirt is a standalone ecu that can be built/programed to run ign,inj and all sorts of other engin manigment bits and bobs from auto box control to verible cam timing also has the programing to run all sorts of engin types including bike engines and roterys
we are only intersted is its standerd funtions eg basic spark and fuel control
could even set your cvh to run say ign and bike throttles with injectors and then swap it all to a zetec or just use it to drive a wasted spark coil directly with no need for a edis unit