Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th August 2011, 12:19 PM

Talking

Les you are right but there should be no grey areas. Going back over time people have got away with things that have tripped up the next poor sod. Which brings me back to to point of a re write. All said and done you should be able to go there and pass. I dont think there is a person on the forum thats a fool but still there are some getting tripped up and robbed at the iva stage. I reckon a simple draft of the stumbling blocks would be a great help and that can only come from those who have been built and passed iva. At least you could stand there and argue "your valid point".

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 11th August 2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
Les you are right but there should be no grey areas. Going back over time people have got away with things that have tripped up the next poor sod. Which brings me back to to point of a re write. All said and done you should be able to go there and pass. I dont think there is a person on the forum thats a fool but still there are some getting tripped up and robbed at the iva stage. I reckon a simple draft of the stumbling blocks would be a great help and that can only come from those who have been built and passed iva. At least you could stand there and argue "your valid point".

Bob
Bob i agree
i was reading a thread on lcb a chap had issues with his steering column and wheel .
he failed.
went home done some research went back argued the toss with proof that someone else,s car had passed with the same items fitted .
the tester went away made a fonecall and came back and said he would allow it on retest.. now that is not even remotely amusing its absolutely woeful..
cheers les g
Old 11th August 2011, 06:41 PM

And that comes down to the tester not the regs as we all have access to the IVA and MOT regs.

I asked an MOT tester today about braided hoses and MOT, he said it's an advisory in his opinion as the packaging usually states for Race use...
So I said if I built a road going race car where does that leave me?...He just shrugged his shoulders..!!
Old 11th August 2011, 07:50 PM

Its the age old story and when the human element is involved the crap hits the fan,there are no "grey" area's in testing as the method and reasons for refusal are written in black and white and as far as I remember the only specific must have is class 7 tyres load rating numbers.

The only way to solve the mot test problem is let VOSA do all the tests at one fixed price,ask any VOSA guy what his opinion on an item is and gauranteed you will get this answer "what does the manual say".

Its all down to the tester at the time and what he thinks the book say's but that is the way it is and as others have posted it is up to the presenter to complain at the time,but as I said before they will pray on the unwary ,as for the tester Mark mentioned he should be stopped testing as there is nothing in the manual to suggest advising braided hoses in any shape of form and he is talking rubbish.
I have tested since I was 18, and am now a lot older (55) and seen the test change over the years and some of the things they bring in are ridiculous,the condition of brake discs has been altered and unless they are totally donald ducked you cannot fail them,question this,the guy has an accident two days later and kills someone,you advised the discs and he took no notice what would happen.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 12th August 2011, 07:55 PM

Paul i agree 100%
you have to complain
dont know of a tester who likes a visit from the Vosa man.
When i worked for it was worse for us as we were continually audited and the auditers were tough and sharp as pins..
and they have all the answers......
The brake tester used to cause us no end of grief with presenters.
1% under and its a fail and they used to whine and moan but just 1% over and its a pass they would be high kickin their heels out the test centre.
Now thats an odd one 1% effort over minimum on a 44 ton arctic is ok..
scary stuff really but a pass is a pass
cheers les g
Old 12th August 2011, 08:24 PM

Should not admit this but nobody reads it anyway,I used to take units for test and used to watch the brake meter and if it was failing percentage wise I loaded the axle more with the airbag control,backfired when they installed a new meter and you could see the weight increase.

ATL brake testers will and do fail brakes if the wrong weight is used compared with VSI and axle weights from tester and also kerbweight.

As for testing,yes people should complain there and then but lack of knowledge and the belief that the person testing actually knows the what,why ,and wherefore of what he is actually doing and placing trust in the tester.

VOSA in there wisdom (?) have stopped supplying hardback manuals and everything is available on the net to all and sundry,so with regard to previous posts regarding braided hose,s being a fail or an advisory item its there in black and white so try and find it, Guaranteed you will not as it is not there in any shape or form to be interpreted by all and sundry.

The old cherry,brake pipes. RFR is excessive corrosion not really rusty

Rust is the cause of corrosion,dictionary definitions.

Bob,no re-write will happen as its law but it should more user friendly.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.

Last edited by flyerncle : 12th August 2011 at 08:28 PM.