Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th January 2015, 11:36 PM

Looking good, dont no how i missed your thread, must be the forum as it never shows up new posts on new posts
Old 20th January 2015, 11:37 PM

It's 'cause I've only just got around to creating it yesterday
Old 26th January 2015, 12:52 AM

Not much done this weekend as I ended up on a pub crawl Saturday afternoon, and it took me until this afternoon to become human again... good times

Had a bit of an issue with my brakes - the front circuit has bled fine, but fluid started pissing out the of the t-joint on the rear. To cut a long story short the threads on the t-piece were malformed and wouldn't let the unions clamp properly - swapped it out for another one and it seems all good.

I've admitted defeat for now and bunged the DMF back on the engine, also drilled three new holes on the X-type sump to accept bellhousing bolts. Two of them already had holes there (either close or misaligned), so in the interests of simplicity I've just drilled through with a 10.5mm and will use a nut and bolt on these joints.

And finally a long shot of the car... it's actually starting to look like a car now!

I've got to make up my mind whether to take the car off the table now or later, after I've put the engine back in. Having the engine in will make taking it off more difficult, but having the car on the table makes working on it easier! A bit of a catch 22.
Old 26th January 2015, 10:45 AM

I left mine on trestles throughout the whole build and it was a so much easier to to work on, then just lifted the whole car off with an engine crane which worked a treat.
Old 26th January 2015, 02:05 PM

I'm with Kev I'm leaving mine on its stands for as long as possible so I don't brake my back
Old 26th January 2015, 10:14 PM

Me to staying on tressels as long as i can, then strip down to get it painted, i will prob re assemble on tressels to!
Old 2nd February 2015, 01:11 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I shall follow suit and leave it up on the table for as long as I can get away with it. It does create a little bit of a height issue as the garage is quite low, but I reckon I can work around it, being a short arse

Not much to report on the build this week, just a bit of tidying and finishing off. A last minute change has seen the brake pressure switch changed out for a bleed point (I'll use a mechanical switch), the brakes have finally bled properly, the handbrake is now connected and adjusted.

On the engine side the engine and gearbox are now rejoined and the engine back in and propshaft connected (thank you Michael at North West Propshafts).

Old 2nd February 2015, 01:13 AM

Got a couple of jobs yet to do (sort the clutch and make up some prop catchers) but I've started thinking about the next big chunks of work - the exhaust (which I think will have to be scratch built) and doing something constructive with these:

Old 15th February 2015, 11:35 PM

I didn't get around to updating this last week for various reasons, but progress is a bit slow at the moment since I'm in a "figuring stuff out" phase.
I re-did the clutch system since I wasn't particularly happy with it, I'm still slightly annoyed as my reservoir bracket is on a very slight angle! However the new system practically self-bled and works nicely with a reasonable amount of clutch pedal pressure, so that's a win.

Old 15th February 2015, 11:36 PM

I also made up a pair of prop catchers out of 3mm steel and welded some brackets on the car for them. The more I look at them the less sure I am that 3mm steel is man enough for the job - I may make up another plate to double the thickness of the top part (which is where the fuel lines and electrics will be).

Also... TANK!