Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th July 2010, 01:31 PM

It makes sense to me to use a single donor, as 9 times out of 10 you'll have all the parts you need in the donor, I cant see the point in buying an MX5 then throwing away uprights designed for wishbone suspension to replace it with parts that have been adapted to wishbone suspension. The MX5 is good for this that's why so many are going down that route.

There's other annoying things too like different PCD for the wheels, etc etc.

Matt, I've looked at the pictures, I'll sit down over the next week and put something to paper (well CAD) I've got to do a couple of things for Chris's single seater first.

Kind regards

John

Contact us at component-sales@hotmail.co.uk or visit our website www.3gecomponents.com
Old 14th July 2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3GE Components View Post

Matt, I've looked at the pictures, I'll sit down over the next week and put something to paper (well CAD) I've got to do a couple of things for Chris's single seater first.

Kind regards

John

Thanks I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Can anyone confirm that my logic is good or otherwise with regards to copying the MX5 setup on the rear?

My build diary. http://www.mx5-locost.co.uk
Old 14th July 2010, 02:38 PM

Doesn't help anyone in the meantime but there is going to be an Mx-5 version of the bible coming out in the new year.

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 14th July 2010, 02:57 PM

It'll probably help me, as unlikely to have started by then! Thanks for the heads up.

Just realised, isn't Keith Tanners book based on a Miata(MX5) build, ie hasn't he done all this already??
Old 14th July 2010, 08:31 PM

Re: wishbone lengths. The rear of the chassis could be altered to use the MX-5 location dimentions so from the geometry point of view that would work but I don't think you'll be able to use the actual MX-5 'bones.
The front is totally different and the 'bones, which are on show, both look awful and won't comply with radiused edges etc.
Re: single donor. For those wanting an age related plate then you'd probably need to use as much as you can from the donor to amass enough points to get the age related plate, also the benefit in my view is in using what you have by the way of hubs, brakes and wheels, all of which came with the donor.
RE: MX-5 version of the bible. Is it worth contacting CG himself? two heads better than one and all that.

As I'm still working through the haynes manual for "building a large workshop for you kit" I will probably buy the MX-5 version when it comes out.

BV
Old 14th July 2010, 09:21 PM

There was never any plan in my mind to use the Mazda wishbones, yuk! Only the dimensions.

M

My build diary. http://www.mx5-locost.co.uk