Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th April 2012, 06:23 PM

Default 4x4, better traction?? must be.

As we know the Roadster and others are graet fun on the back end flying all over and loss of traction, this is the thinking by me and a 4x4, i am sure it is the same of others who try a 4x4 build, i am trying to do a sierra version as i believe this has the 40% front and 60% rear drive so fairly good divide.

I always buld what i want, just to see, if it doesnt it doesnt work, but i tried and enjoyed the build. But this time i am considering it a bit more.

All best

wolly
Old 14th April 2012, 06:33 PM

Smile

Hi had a similar idea, and used the Sierra XR4x4 2.8 doner car for my build. The main issue you will face is the size of the gearbox front output. The front final drive shaft would also sit in the middle of the drivers footwell. You would have to make some major mods to the chassis or fabricate a chassis around it.

Also the front drive shaft run through the sump and the diff would sit where the side rails are on the standard chassis

Good luck with it, lots of photos on Year 1 of the gearbox I assume you want to use.

Last edited by Spikehaus : 14th April 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 14th April 2012, 07:09 PM

Hi kida, i see your point but the diff can be set anywhere in front independent of the original mounts ( in the sump) mod the sump or use a standard, the chassis would be mod`ed.

BUT how much better would a 4x4 be? that is the qustion, is it worth all the extra work?

I think so, but i like opinions on it
Old 14th April 2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes world View Post
Hi kida, i see your point but the diff can be set anywhere in front independent of the original mounts ( in the sump) mod the sump or use a standard, the chassis would be mod`ed.

BUT how much better would a 4x4 be? that is the qustion, is it worth all the extra work?

I think so, but i like opinions on it
With 400bhp yes so you could get it off the line, but for a normal powered car it will be more hassle making it, it will be heavier, it wouldnt handle as well, it will cost more and I would put my mortgage that an equally powered normal rear wheel drive roadster would run rings around it in every respect, (unless its was really wet, but then why would you be going out in a car with no roof or windscreen in the wet!)

You would need bespoke bodywork too

Im all for pushing the boundries if thats your thing and it would be nice to see it done

I would watch your build with great interest but you will end up with an inferior car that will cost more to build (in my opinion!)
Old 14th April 2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
With 400bhp yes so you could get it off the line, but for a normal powered car it will be more hassle making it, it will be heavier, it wouldnt handle as well, it will cost more and I would put my mortgage that an equally powered normal rear wheel drive roadster would run rings around it in every respect, (unless its was really wet, but then why would you be going out in a car with no roof or windscreen in the wet!)

You would need bespoke bodywork too

Im all for pushing the boundries if thats your thing and it would be nice to see it done

I would watch your build with great interest but you will end up with an inferior car that will cost more to build (in my opinion!)
Hi kida, firstly, have you driven a 4x4 roadster to confirm this, its what i am after realy for folk to tell me if it is worth it, what would make a RWD better than a 4x4? , in my begginers opinion i cant see it being thousands more to build a 4x4 roadster than a RWD, upto know its the set up thats the pain, the steering and the loss of footwell space on the sierra running gear, the T box in the way. And as said its only 50kgish heavier than the norm, thats a big bloke driving compared to me who`s had a full breakfast with extra black pudding LOL.

Why not go out in one of these cars if you have a rag top or Re/hard top

Also for the last 16 years of having the Locost build book i hav ewanted to build a 4x4 version

All best

wolly
Old 14th April 2012, 08:46 PM

How do Dax do it?
Old 14th April 2012, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

It would be better if we were left hand drive.

I have considered it a number of times,

DAX sell a rush called the quadra that uses the cosworth 4x4 running gear so it may be worth trying to get some pics of their setup.

Having driven many Sierras of all flavours, the 4x4's are excelent.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 14th April 2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
It would be better if we were left hand drive.

I have considered it a number of times,

DAX sell a rush called the quadra that uses the cosworth 4x4 running gear so it may be worth trying to get some pics of their setup.

Having driven many Sierras of all flavours, the 4x4's are excelent.

TT

I agree, i was thinking abotu a LHD sierra to do away with the driver fottwell loss, but nope, more chance to get a RWD MT75 LOL.

I ma at the minute trying to find pics of Dax 4x4 set up, nothing as yet.

So some body in agree with the 4x4 being a better drive, well on the sierra anyway.
And to think of it, i ad he sierra 4x4 sapphire in a slide once, hell yeh
Old 14th April 2012, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Gearbox is the same on LHD cars but it intrudes on the passenger not the driver.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 14th April 2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
Gearbox is the same on LHD cars but it intrudes on the passenger not the driver.

TT

The reason a LHD would be better for us, no space loss for the RHD