Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd November 2009, 10:53 PM

Default granada running gear

how different is the granada running gear from the sierra, save the fact that it has 5 wheel studs
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:17 PM

Hi John,

The engines and gearboxes are the same, most Granadas/Scorpios have the seven and a half inch differential used in some sierras, as you say the rear hubs are five stud and have bigger bearings.

At the front it's the same story five stud hubs, bigger bearings but the geometry is different to the Sierra although it's not a big difference and the slightly larger strut fixing gives more scope for increasing the caster.

All in all it's pretty good donor, if you're willing to make changes to the book spec.

Cheers

Chris
Old 2nd November 2009, 11:21 PM

The granada rear wheel bearings are the same as Cosworth ones, I think the actual drive shafts are a bit meatier (I have a cossie rear end in mine, with LSD)
Old 3rd November 2009, 05:34 AM

i am using a mcsorly chassis which is 46" wide, the granada rear axle is as best i can measure 60" wide, now the cossy wheels i have are 5" back spacing, which leaves 2" per side for clearence for the tire and the mounting for the fenders(mud gaurds).

given the above, this would seem a good choice.

i intend to make my own backing plates similar to the luego flat plates, the calipers fit directly to the hubs so brakes will (should) not be an issue.

the problem i have is at the front!

to get the front wheels out far enough, 60" i will have to make the suspension "a" arms about 19" long if i am correct?

i made up some adapters for the requisit ford transit ball joint in the top of the hub but with no offset,would this be a problem?

what would be the position of the chassis pivots with this type of hub assy.
Old 3rd November 2009, 03:47 PM

in addition to the above, if the wish bones are to be that long, the old triumph bushes would be inadiquate as the loads under braking would be higher, so can anyone suggest something better.
Old 3rd November 2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john hennessy View Post
in addition to the above, if the wish bones are to be that long, the old triumph bushes would be inadiquate as the loads under braking would be higher, so can anyone suggest something better.
The vast majority on here are not using rubber bushes, polyurethane is usually the material of choice, although some are using HDPE