Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th August 2015, 10:50 PM

Default ECU noob question

So I still need an ECU and was leaning towards mega squirt or emerald.
Being in the states at the moment they have loads of aftermarket electrickery however here in Detroit they have not heard so much of megasquirt or emerald. Most tuners I have spoke with here all recommend greddy.
Now I am a total noob here, there is a brand new top spec greddy e-manage ultimate for half the price of a DIY megasquirt. I know back at home greddy is popular with the jap folk but could this be used for my zetec setup?
Reading online talks about piggy back systems and splicing and then my brain hurts....
Any advice?

Last edited by NeilW : 25th August 2015 at 03:14 AM.
Old 25th August 2015, 10:00 AM

Something you can get support for in the uk,any unknown makes etc could be a problem.

If you can buy Megajolt cheap get one .

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 25th August 2015, 11:40 AM

Well last night I managed to chat with some local hotrod racers, they pointed me in the directions of http://www.diyautotune.com
These stock mega squirt in kit or assembled form quite cheap in comparison to the UK.
I sent them a mail asking what type/ad ons I will need for my setup, as far as I am aware a standard v3 unit will be enough?
Old 25th August 2015, 03:21 PM

What are you trying to control? For my Zetec setup I needed to create the extra circuits for PWM idle valve and for the second ignition output. I bought an MS3 kit and soldered it myself. I skipped on the MS3x board to save $100.

If you get a ready-made MS3 with the MS3x board, the extra outputs on there will enable you to drive the PWM idle. As for ignition, you'll be able to use a sequential coil-on plug ignition setup with some VAG coils.
Old 26th August 2015, 09:07 AM

Have seen Megasquirt on a Focus and had loads of problems with fuelling,daft thing is it had silly bhp and torque in standard form with it on,but would not start unless you altered fuel pressure.

Something to consider,not trying to be the prophet of doom.

Old 26th August 2015, 02:55 PM

I messed about something chronic with my MS even taking it to the rolling road didnt manage to get it running spot on..

Switch it out for an Omex 600 and it ran spot on straight away!

Just hope the MS is going to be a bit easier on my RV8!

Steve

www.mymnrvortx.blogspot.com/
Old 26th August 2015, 03:17 PM

I'm running my MX5 Turbo on a Microquirt V3, cased version. Dirt cheap in the states. It even does electronic boost control now.

Cheers
Stot
Old 26th August 2015, 11:13 PM

So I fired a mail to the diyautotune company enquiring about my required setup.
They sent the below back and my brain exploded again.
1. What year / make / model / engine / transmission? (Pretend you're at the parts store, ordering a starter.) If this isn't the original engine / electronics, let me know that too.
2. Are you looking to control fuel only, ignition only, or fuel and ignition?
3. Is it important to you to run sequential injection, or is bank to bank fueling OK for you?
4. Beyond fuel and ignition, are there any other must-have features, such as internal SD card data logging instead of logging to a laptop, boost control, nitrous control, cooling fans, etc?
5. What are the engine details (type, number of cylinders, previously fuel injected or carb'd?)
6. What type of ignition system does your car run- is there a distributor? Coil pack? Coil on Plug?
7. What sort of sensor(s) does it use to trigger the ignition? Variable reluctor (magnetic pickup)? Optical? Hall effect? Old fashioned mechanical breaker points? Are the sensors triggered by trigger wheels on the crankshaft / flywheel, distributor / cam, or both?
8. How many teeth / windows / slots and are on the crank or distributor trigger wheel? How are they arranged? (Equally spaced, missing teeth gaps, etc)
9. Does this engine have a fast idle valve (IAC)? If so, how many wires are connected to it? Do you know if it is an on/off, pulse width modulated, thermal, or stepper type?
10. Rate yourself 1-5 on technical confidence in yourself. 1 being "I can't paint by numbers" and 5 being "I can probably build a car from scratch if I have the right documentation, and I'm resourceful enough to do some research and find some of my own answers." I need to know this as some of the 'less traveled' roads will require you to make modifications that in some cases I haven't performed myself yet and based on this response it will help me to know whether this type of solution is for you or not. I challenge you to 'stretch yourself' a little bit. You won't ever learn anything (about yourself and your abilities) if you don't try to do things that you're not quite sure you can do... and then find that you can.
11. Are you looking to build your own ECU from a kit or buy a pre-assembled ECU?
12. Are you open to retrofitting a different ignition system or one of our crank trigger kits if it is determined that the MegaSquirt will not properly (or easily) control your factory ignition system, or if we determine your existing sensors / ignition do not support the features you would like to add to this motor?

Why can getting an ECU not be so simple as - pay money - plug in - away you go! Guessing I need to spend some serious hours trawling internet before ordering. Not been able to find an omex supplier yet if that would be the easiest then I will step up the hunt!
Old 28th August 2015, 09:02 AM

All valid questions

Omex !!!!! or emerald.....

Old 4th September 2015, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilW View Post
Why can getting an ECU not be so simple as - pay money - plug in - away you go!
Because there's more than one type of engine in the world. MS can be configured to run many of those engines. I think they're asking all these questions to make it as close as possible to plug & play.

Quote:
Guessing I need to spend some serious hours trawling internet before ordering.
DIYAutoTune have a web page specifically about setting up MS on Zetec: http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_arti...ford_zetec.htm

I can help if have any questions.

Quote:
Not been able to find an omex supplier yet if that would be the easiest then I will step up the hunt!
Maybe that's because Omex and Emerald are British companies geared primarily at the British market?

Here are the answers if you decide to proceed with Megasquirt.

1. Self-built car, Zetec Blacktop engine
2. Both
3. Bank firing works, sequential would be nice.
4. Personally, on top of standard MS I control the fuel pump, cooling fan relay, PWM idle and tach output.
5. See 1
6. Wasted spark coil pack. Can switch to COP.
7. Ford VR crank position sensor with holes in the flywheel.
8. Per their page, it's 36-1 teehth, first tooth angle 80°.
9. On the standard Ford manifold, there's a solenoid PWM idle valve. Of course, if you're not using the standard inlet, it depends.
10 - 12. You have to answer yourself.

The last three questions really highlight if Megasquirt is the right choice for you. If you want to build it yourself and really understand all ins and outs, there's nothing better (Until FreeEMS is ready!). If not, probably look somewhere else.

Good luck!