Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th November 2010, 07:25 PM

Default What Sierra Parts?

Hi,
New on the forum and looking to build a Locost/Haynes kit car using a kit from Saturnsportscars.

Looking on the website of my local scrappy Iv noticed they have 2 Sierras in at the moment, one model unsure, the other is a 4x4i
Im going to try and go up there in the week but what parts would be well worth getting? Im assuming the brakes off of the 4x4 but what else is worth grabbing? A friend of mine has a V6 I can have but not sure if I want to use that or still look for a donor car with a pinto. Just trying to get as many possably usefull parts before they get recycled.

Cheers,
Doug.
Old 15th November 2010, 08:15 PM

Post 4x4 or not 4x4

Hi Doug and welcome, the 4x4 has the desirable LSD (limited slip diff) and bolt on drive shafts.

The 4x4 front hubs can't be used because they have a drive shaft which will be removed, the enging is large and heavy and for its size dosen't offer much power. I had a 4x4 and after alot of work didn't use any of it because mine was rusted to hell and the half shafts bolts would not come off, I came across a standard RWD sierra and used most of it. Sold the 4x4 for scrap and made £30 more than I paid though

This forum is great for advice and help and you can always rely on an answer to most questions by searching old posts.

Hope that helps, hopefully someone will jump in and recommend using the V6 as there are a couple of builders who have used it.

Last edited by nicholas garn : 15th November 2010 at 08:17 PM. Reason: bad english
Old 15th November 2010, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like the LSD would definatly be worth getting then?
Im undecided on engine, I'm pretty sure I can pick up a 2WD donor car locally. I did have a look at a thread about someone wanting to use a 4x4. A friend of mine has 2 spare engines sat in his garage, got them as spares for his TVR and has said I can have one for a pint though I think a 4 pot would be my preffered engine.
I did think the 4x4s had some better running gear though so was curious to know if it was worth going up there and getting what I can. LSD has got to be worth it at least!
Do they have better brakes?
Old 15th November 2010, 08:58 PM

The rear end running gear, Diff, Shafts, Disks and Brakes are worth getting. I didn't use mine because I had to cut the drive shafts off and couldn't find new ones within my price range , be aware that the 4x4 and 2WD components are not compatable, that is to say the 4x4 rear hubs will not fit the 2WD drive shafts and so on. I think the 4x4 brakes are bigger but can't be to sure. Have a look an eBay at the price of LSDs and bolt on drive shafts, worth getting even if you just sell them.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:09 PM

Thanks, Think the brakes are cosworth spec? Vented discs all round?? Something Iv just found on net so may be right may be wrong.

Can the 2WD gearbox/prop be mated to the 4WD diff? If I was to get and use the LSD, rear drive shafts and brakes/hubs, but use a 4 pot engine with 2WD gearbox and prop? would that work? or are the props different lengths etc?
Old 15th November 2010, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

4x4 hubs are identical to 2wd hubs,

read disks are all the same with the exception of 4x4 Cosworth which has vented rears

Front brakes ( forgettig 2wd cosworth 4pots) come in either 240 vented or 260MM vented , or very rare unvented!!!

Front hubs can have the outer CV removed to get rid of the front shafts, but the geometry on the 4x4 is slightly different to the 2wd and the Maxi ball joint will not fit.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 15th November 2010, 09:16 PM

Post prop shaft

The props are different lengths but you will have to shorten the prop anyway see page 84 para titled Propshaft.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:17 PM

Can the brakes be fitted with 2WD front hubs? If i were to use the 4WD rear hubs and brakes but 2WD hubs with the vented front brake set up?
Old 15th November 2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas garn View Post
The props are different lengths but you will have to shorten the prop anyway see page 84 para titled Propshaft.
Thanks, as you can tell, Im pretty new to this
Old 15th November 2010, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

Front calipers are the same, caliper carriers are different. so you need 2wd hubs and carriers

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders