Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th May 2012, 04:12 PM

Default new build

hi everyone

i bought the manual a while ago and been looking through it. spent loads of time doing this. i'm definantly thinking of building my own. i have minimal experience with engines and electrics, and i'm also tight with my money. i just want to know what you guys would recommend as a starting point. i have my little bro on the case of trying to get the chassis plates made up at his work out of bits of offcuts but other than that i wouldn't know where to start.

thanks in advance guys

martin
Old 30th May 2012, 04:52 PM

Welcome Martin ....we have all been at that stage sometime or another and once you have read the "bible" through and then a few more times you will start to look at other build threads on here and you will soon start to get the jist of the whole process. Tips and methods differ a little from person to person but the end result will be the same .....a fairly rapid sports car that you can stand back and say "I built that", so don't be bashful ......ask is all you need to do if you are unsure about something so good luck .....peeps on here do love pictures right from the build table up to the finished item.
Old 30th May 2012, 05:10 PM

i'm not planning on building just yet as i'm waiting to get a few of the essentials sorted at the ready, and for the the old man to let me use the garage. one major thing im thinking about is the engine. ive been reading a few of the threads on here because i want to put a more modern zetec in with the possibility of then upgrading it to a zetec turbo. (i get bored with power outputs very easy). i know some of you guys have put a cvh in for the iva then done the swap once its past. are there any major modifications that need doing?

pictures, pictures, pictures. ill be on the case because ive wanted to build something to be proud of.
Old 30th May 2012, 05:33 PM

Welcome to the forum its a great way to spend days off and very rewarding I had the enjoyment of taking a hammer to the windscreen of the donor the other day was great fun even the wife had a go
Old 30th May 2012, 05:40 PM

cheers for the advice k4kev. ive been reading your threads and its pretty impressive.

vmax its looks like you and your wife have a very good partnership. she has a good understanding too. i do like both of your threads it does show each others points of views and some is very amusing

cheers guys
Old 30th May 2012, 08:30 PM

hi martin,

Hope your build goes well, your welcome to pop over if you fancy a blast round the industrial estate if you need to get into the spirit of the build, youll see there is no real need for a turbo in such a light car! although i do have an eaton 45 sitting here ready to pop into the mx5
Old 30th May 2012, 09:18 PM

nice one thanks. i'll keep that in mind. i have everyone that i know, who knows what i need on the look out for everything at the moment. i want to do it as cheap as possible. already thinking about saving for a full wishbone kit because that looks too complicated for my liking. but hopefully by the end of summer i'll have the basics and maybe on with the build. just need to persuade the old man to let me use the garage (currently space taken by a mg roadster)