Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th August 2013, 04:58 PM

Default Getting a VIN number

Well its all confusion at the DVLA on this now.

Went down to my local DVLA office to ask for a VIN number today. They said I needed to fill in a V55 and send it to Swansea. I said I dont have a chassis number so cant fill in form V55. They said I need to contact Swansea.

Phoned Swansea to ask them for a VIN number. Swansea said they dont give out VIN numbers and that I should phone VOSA or VCA.

VOSA said they are sorry but they dont have access to VIN numbers so cant dish them out but they will find out for me. Initial response was to go to the local DVLA office and then they put me through to another lady at the DVLA in Swansea as I said the locak office wouldnt give me one.

They said I would need to fill in the registration document etc. I explained I only need a VIN number at this point before I continue my build. A short while later they said that I do need to go to the local DVLA office as they are still issuing VIN numbers.....

Back to the local office then but this time they can call Emma at Team 34 in Swansea to confirm...

Cheers
Stot
Old 20th August 2013, 05:40 PM

More confusion.

I ended up speaking with the manager at the local DVLA and she phoned Swansea and spoke to the MASET team who apparently deal with kit cars.

They have said they dont just give out VIN numbers because you ask for one, they want me to fill out a Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report (V627) and a V55 first before they will consider giving me a VIN number...

I dont remember it being this difficult when I built my other car many moons ago?

I think I may just make up my own 17 digit chassis number and take it from there. N0P155UP1NBR3W3RY

Cheers
Stot
Old 20th August 2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stot View Post
More confusion.

I ended up speaking with the manager at the local DVLA and she phoned Swansea and spoke to the MASET team who apparently deal with kit cars.

They have said they dont just give out VIN numbers because you ask for one, they want me to fill out a Built Up Vehicle Inspection Report (V627) and a V55 first before they will consider giving me a VIN number...

I dont remember it being this difficult when I built my other car many moons ago?

I think I may just make up my own 17 digit chassis number and take it from there. N0P155UP1NBR3W3RY

Cheers
Stot
Mine was issued at the local office. There is a standard letter that was produced on here some time ago. I sent one off and got a number return of post. They all seem to star sabtvr.......

I think the letter is in the announcement section

Edit... Here it is http://www.haynesroadster.pwp.blueyo.../vinletter.doc

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.

Last edited by Davidbolam : 20th August 2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Link added
Old 20th August 2013, 08:58 PM

Things just seem to be getting tougher for kit car builders...

Seems like you are getting the rough end of the pineapple with your VIN..
I just sent a letter to my local DVLA office in Peterborough waited a few months, phoned them up and received a number within days after the call.

http://s1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa472/JohnoSS1/

Johno
Old 20th August 2013, 09:30 PM

I'm guessing you guys did yours before the changes to registration to Swansea took place?

I may try a letter to the Chelmsford office otherwise I'm going with one of my own.

The chances of picking 17 random digits using 33 characters for each position and matching one on the system already are 1 in 400,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,00 0,000 so I should be OK to make one up based on a mix of my name, date of birth, phone number etc.

Cheers
Stot
Old 22nd August 2013, 03:03 PM

So I looked into making up my own VIN. I was going to go totally random but there are patterns you can follow to create a valid format VIN number, the first three digits are manufaturer, e.g. SAB = UK renumbered, JPM = Japan Mazda etc so I came up with.

SC9MX5HR_D_______

SC = because SA-SM signifies UK and SC is the initials of Sports Car.
9 = Limited production company (less than 500 vehicles/yr)
MX5HR_ = Your Model identifier, MX5 Haynes Roadster for me. The _ is a calculated check digit which comes later.
D = Made in 2013

The rest is the unique serial number for that model so something random, initials, birthdays etc.

I ran my VIN through this website with a 0 check digit in there and it told me what the check digit should be for it to calculate correctly.

So not completely random, but random enough, has some relation to me and the car and it is technically valid.

Cheers
Stot
Old 23rd August 2013, 09:13 AM

When I got my chassis number The woman explained how it was made up the all start sabtvro

Sabt means single amiture build

Vro is vehicle registration office and is followed by the 4 numbers to identify the office issuing the chassis number

Followed by a letter to identify the year it was issued followed by the date in 3 numbers the final 3 are random and normally in sequence from the last one issued at that office

Once they have sorted all that out you should end up with a piece of paper with your number on and stamped by the office the form you end up with is a v842

I an guessing the problem lies with the staff not knowing what they are meant to be doing
Old 9th December 2013, 09:41 AM

Default Chassis vin number

Received mine last week after a few weeks wait with a totally cofusing form to fill in .

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 10th December 2013, 01:30 PM

I emailed DVLA to find out what I needed to do following the closure of my local office.

This is the most sensible reply I had after a few responses pointed me towards forms that I don't have the details to fill out:

It may help to explain in order for am new VIN number to be issued, to a Kit Build vehicle, you will need to send in letter with your signature to the appropiate department details as follows:

VC15A
MASET
Longview Road
Morriston
Swansea
SA6 7JL

You should receive a response within 4 weeks

I hope this reply meets with your approval.

I resisted the urge to correct spelling mistakes and punctuation! I've sent the letter off and will wait to see what happens.
Old 10th December 2013, 05:58 PM

You will get a letter back with chassis number on it and a form to fill in that makes little or no sense whatsoever .

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.