Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th July 2012, 10:47 AM

Cool Cool

Well done for finding a reasonably local Sierra

I think the price you paid is about par for the course.

Even my local breaker will pay £200-£250 for a dead large saloon car, I guess this is part of the reason as to why donor cars are selling for decent money.

I remember the last Sierra I stripped.

Had a word with the breaker & explained why I would be bringing it in with no vehicle ID.
He said he would be able to take it in as general scrap, asked him about all of the interior & plastics, he said bung it all in together.

Cut the shell up, loaded the whole lot into my truck, took it to the breakers & got paid just over £100 ( Not bad for a rusty load of old crap )

That was a few years back, scrap prices have probably gone up since then.

If you have the means to get the remains of the donor to the scrapyard, there is a fair chance that you'll get a nice chunk of your money back.

That said, if the body shell is in good condition it may be worth good money for someone looking to re-shell a project car. ( Would imagine that early models are quite scarce )

Enjoy the test driving of your new donor.

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 26th July 2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps View Post
Just thought i'd add an update in case anyone comes along and reads this in the future! I've spent the last few weeks looking for sierras and have seen probably about a dozen come up on eBay that would have fitted the bill - although none that were quite right (fuel injection, or DOHC engine, or no MOT and a LONG way from home)...

On Tues I saw one for sale near Bedford, only 80 miles away, and snapped it up for £390. A C reg, 1.6 L. Pinto and carbs, 3 previous owners with one of those having it from 1988 - 2009 and what the current owner thinks is a genuine 98000 from new.

This'll let me stick to a 'book' build and get an age related plate - and perhaps i'll install the Zetec and MT75 gearbox i've got once the car is registered and on the road...

Not quite the £30 of the book, but I didn't mind forking out that much. Especially as it has 12 months and 2 days of MOT left, I think i'll be cruising round in it a little bit until time comes to rip it apart.. :-D

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater
I'll be honest, it looks clean and sounds like its in good condition and it's a mark 1. I can't help feeling that this Sierra is far too good to be breaking it for a donor, but hey, it's not my car.
Old 28th July 2012, 08:19 PM

There is no shortage of sierra`s in this area, the only killer is the scrap value because before that rot boxes would change hands for less than a hundred pounds but now its £250 + for anything. Mind still lots of them.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:28 PM

Default donor car

Hi if anyone is looking for a sierra there is one located in catterick northyorkshire its a 2.9 4x4 i know some of the bits are no use but it will get most of what you want any interest let me know ill sort out the mans number. its about the £325ovno cheers