Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd April 2007, 10:28 AM

Default Bmw E36

Hi All,

I looking to use an E36 320i as a donor the only concern I have is the total size of the rear diff and driveshafts which will effect the size of the rear wish bones.

Does anyone know the size of the span or where to find the info and how to calculate new size of rear wishbones?

Apart from the dummy strut on the front wishbones are there any other issues/thoughts I should be aware of?

Many Thanks,

Aly
Old 22nd April 2007, 08:28 PM
Chris Gibbs

I'm starting a BMW based Roadster soon, but 5 series based If you can get some dimensions and pictures of the 3-series parts to me, I'll try and help you out.

Cheers

Chris
Old 22nd April 2007, 10:23 PM

Thanks for the offer of advice Chris but I'm at the collecting tools, scanning ebay and the local ads for a suitable doner at the moment so I'm open to change. I just don't want too much hassle when it comes to the important areas.

Found this if it helps
1988 535 Rear Track 57.501 in | 1460.5 mm.
1993 325 Rear Track 55.701 in | 1414.8 mm.

couldn't find the sierra from the same source http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/make.aspx

And you quote in another post the sierra rear track was 1460mm

So if I use a shorter rear track can I reduce the length of the wishbones to make it all fit - thus if I use a rear track of 1414.8mm the wish bones will need to be 22.6mm - 10mm (printing error) shorter than stated in the book, leaving a total shorting of the rear wish bone by 12.6mm each side.

I take it that this change wont have a detrimental affect on suspension setup.

Thanks again

Aly
Old 23rd April 2007, 07:00 PM
Chris Gibbs

Small changes to the lengths of the wishbones such as this won't make much difference, although if you sort out the lengths I'll feed them into my suspension program just to be sure.

Although the differences in track are a good guide to wishbone lengths, because of the possible differences in wheel offset, it's not definative. Track is measured from the centre of the wheel and tyre, therefore the offset of the wheel affects the track. Two cars with the same track may have very different wheel mounting face dimensions

The important dimension is the wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face dimension.

Other things to consider are:-

I believe that the BMW hub is part of the rear suspension trailing arm, this will need machining or replacing to fit the Roadster type upright.

This is the E30 rear hub.

Are the calculated positions of the hub fixing bolts in relation to the upright within the area of the Plate as described for the Sierra version or will a larger plate be required?

Will the brake set up be suitable?

The ideal way to sort this would be if anyone has engineering drawings of the BMW hub or access to the parts for accurate measurement.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited by Chris Gibbs : 23rd April 2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 24th April 2007, 09:39 PM

Default whooaa hold the horses

Okay I'm going to stop right there down the BMW route. By the book it is with a DOHC model get the SVA'd and then treat it to an Alfa V6 and some Emerald engine management.

Thanks for your above effort Chris but it's starting to look to hard for my first from scratch, there is always the next one...
Old 29th June 2007, 11:04 PM

I found this site for vehicle specifications. It might help if someone is looking at different donor vehicles. http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/
Old 29th June 2007, 11:51 PM

Creating designs for using BMW parts could be worthwhile. I haven't seen a Sierra on the road for months (and I have been looking out). By the time I get a garage and can start building, there just won't be any.

Last edited by JonBowden : 30th June 2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 4th July 2007, 03:09 PM

Like Chris has said before, (and in the book) there are still around 75000 sierras on Britains roads, that doesnt include the ones lying around peoples gardens etc etc

Kit car building might be popular, but its certainly not popular enough to use up the current supply anytime soon.

But I think that kit car manufacturers, and indeed home builders, should be looking more and more at the likes of BMW models for use in their kits.

Lets face it, the sierra is a very old design nowadays.

For the same price as a tidy sierra donor, you could easily pick up an E36 3 series saloon, or a similar aged 5 series saloon, which will have bullet proof mechanicals, more sophisticated engine, better brakes etc etc etc.

The 1.6 and 1.8 4cyl engines would probably be an easy fit, but some chassis modification or re-design would certainly be required for any of the larger capacity engines, as they are 6 cyl jobbies and a bit longer. But a roadster with a bmw 2.5 straight six, producing 170 bhp, would be a lot of fun methinks!

Only thing is, with more sophisticated engine, comes more electronics.....
Old 4th July 2007, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike400 View Post
The 1.6 and 1.8 4cyl engines would probably be an easy fit, but some chassis modification or re-design would certainly be required for any of the larger capacity engines, as they are 6 cyl jobbies and a bit longer. But a roadster with a bmw 2.5 straight six, producing 170 bhp, would be a lot of fun methinks!

Only thing is, with more sophisticated engine, comes more electronics.....
You could dump the donors ecu and injection system as there probably wont fit under the bonnet of a seven. Instead fit a Mega jolt and bike carbs, even to the straight 6. Carbs can be respaced and extra carbs added to fit the application.

Nige
Old 6th January 2008, 05:34 PM

can you get the half shafes shortend whould thay make it fit (i'm going donw the bmw rout)